Removing Engine Cab On.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I'm just curious how you guys do it? I'm talking more specifically about how your setting up your engine hoist and lifting it out. I'd really like the Rotunda engine lifting setup but I'm not sure I'm ready to drop the coin on it. Any cheaper alternatives?

I don't have a lift so cab off isn't an option at the moment.

dzldoctor

Reaction score
Start by removing all the front end parts. All coolers and the grill and top radiator support. Then remove the turbo and I would do the uppipes also. If not they get in the way when trying to remove the engine. Then the normal bolts for removing the engine and use a standard cherry picker mounted low as possible. Pulled two engines in the last couple months and didn't want to tie up the hoist, so did it this way. But the first one I did not remove the uppipe or "Y: pipe. Without that in there it makes it much easier.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I understand what I need to remove to physically get it out. I'm just curious on engine hoist setup to prevent getting hung up on the firewall or hitting the hood with the hoist. I've pulled out 7.3's and it's always been too close for comfort.

Dieselcraft

Reaction score
When I pulled alot of 6ls I used the rotunda E series set up it was big and bulky but made going back in pretty easy.

I know use a 2 1/2 ton cherry picker
Chain from lifting eyes front left to right rear
Remove turbo and up pipes ficm and rear ficm brkt
And remove.

Well like a previous post. Remove the front end heat exchangers and all those componets
I have a ac machine so I don't half to leave the condesor on the truck

This is also the way we pull fully dressed 6.4ls
It's a breeze

Reaction score
All you need to remove is the radiator, intercooler and core support. Take the turbo off, and where the pedestal mounts use that as an anchor place for either chains or make a bracket that fits here. You don't have to take the hood off or anything. Fan clutch and shroud do come off also.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I use a regular old Cherry picker and a chain. Just get it as tight to the motor as possible. I also remove the front 4 cab bolts and pivot it up about 6"

java

Reaction score
Before I had my lift I used a tractor with a loader and pulled the motor and trans at the same time. I also loosened up the cab bolts to give me some extra room.

f9569f9d.jpg

91turbogsx

Reaction score
When I pulled alot of 6ls I used the rotunda E series set up it was big and bulky but made going back in pretty easy.

I know use a 2 1/2 ton cherry picker
Chain from lifting eyes front left to right rear
Remove turbo and up pipes ficm and rear ficm brkt
And remove.

Well like a previous post. Remove the front end heat exchangers and all those componets
I have a ac machine so I don't half to leave the condesor on the truck

This is also the way we pull fully dressed 6.4ls
It's a breeze
How much was the Rotunda setup you got? I really like how easy it appears to be with that setup. I've saw pictures and it just seems much easier.

And thanks guys for the other suggestions. It's what I'll probably end up doing if I can't get the Rotunda setup for a reasonable price.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
I use a regular old Cherry picker and a chain. Just get it as tight to the motor as possible. I also remove the front 4 cab bolts and pivot it up about 6"

This is exactly what i did, we removed all of the harnesses, fan, coolers, ect, removed the front four cab bolts and used the cherry picker to get the motor out. Just be sure you check all the ground straps makeing sure they are disconnected. Take your time and go slow make sure you have someone checking for clearance and any hang ups as you pull the motor out.

I have a thread on the nation (my 600hp build) that shows my build, and tons of pictures showing how we pulled the motor

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I quit pulling motors last week. chit gets old real quick. cab up in 2 hours. world is your oyster. it can be done though.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I'll be pulling the cabs for sure when I get my shop outfitted with a lift. I just gotta make due with what I got for now.

Is it really necessary to raise the front of the cab to pull it out? I understand it makes it easier but I'm just curious if it is a must do thing.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Don't use the lifting eyelet at the back...it just gets in the way.
I used a thick chain and bolted it to the back of the passenger side head instead of the eyelet. (have to remove it too)

You can use the front eyelet, but I removed mine as they just ake up space.

I have never had the hood off, or had to lift the cab at all when I have pulled my engine out.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
I'll be pulling the cabs for sure when I get my shop outfitted with a lift. I just gotta make due with what I got for now.

Is it really necessary to raise the front of the cab to pull it out? I understand it makes it easier but I'm just curious if it is a must do thing.

you dont have too, but it took maybe 10 minutes to loosen the cab bolts, and gave us a little more comfort space to get the motor out.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
I quit pulling motors last week. chit gets old real quick. cab up in 2 hours. world is your oyster. it can be done though.

The 6.4 section has a factory Ford write-up on lifting the cab. Anyone have that for the 6.0? I understand there are a lot of similarities, but...

Someone want to do a cab off step-by-step write-up with pictures!

Latest posts

Members online