Replacing door handles

stevens6.7

Reaction score
I'm wanting to purchase new outside door handles so I can PTM them. Is it difficult to replace them? Has anyone done the process, just want to know what I'm getting into..more or less if I will run into any tight working spaces or anything. Thanks.

Also good idea to delete the key hole on the drivers door or not? Thoughts/suggestions?

sootie

Reaction score
its easy. yes delete the keyhole. sunrise has the primer handles ready to paint on here for cheap.

all it requires is removing the inner door panel. you have good access i mean it's a bit tight but what isnt on a truck...

stevens6.7

Reaction score
its easy. yes delete the keyhole. sunrise has the primer handles ready to paint on here for cheap.

all it requires is removing the inner door panel. you have good access i mean it's a bit tight but what isnt on a truck...

The only thing that worries me is if the battery goes dead how would I get the door open?

Yeah I understand it will be a bit tight. I'll give those guys a shout later!

sootie

Reaction score
The only thing that worries me is if the battery goes dead how would I get the door open?

Yeah I understand it will be a bit tight. I'll give those guys a shout later!

thats the risk you take for security. how many times has your battery gone so dead the doorlocks wouldnt unlock? most of these trucks have battery savers so if an electronic function is left on it kills it after ten minutes or so. i have had it where the battery wasnt strong enough to start the truck but usually it can muster up enough juice to open the drivers door lock.

mustube

Reaction score
No special plug. One of the wires in the trailer plug is battery power. You can either use alligator clips on the back side of the receptacle or you can make a little battery charger adapter with a male trailer plug and hook your charger up to that.

sootie

Reaction score
No special plug. One of the wires in the trailer plug is battery power. You can either use alligator clips on the back side of the receptacle or you can make a little battery charger adapter with a male trailer plug and hook your charger up to that.

this man is thinking^^^^

truckman1974

Reaction score

Do they make, and sell, this elusive adapter that you speak of? lol....

I think it might be cool to have that on hand in case of emergency (I'm picturing it as a male end on one end of the cord and just some small alligator clips on the other like you mentioned).

Now what I'm wondering next is... what if you had a male end on each end of your cable (like a 10' cable) and you plugged it into someone else's trailer connection. Would it be able to draw enough power (sort of like a jumper cable) to get you going?

truckman1974

Reaction score
That's what I'm talking about....the 7 pin trailer plug will be on each end with the regular trailer wires in between connecting them together. If you had one long enough to reach someone else's vehicle to plug it in, would it be able to suck enough juice to get your doors open (or possibly crank your truck if it was low)? *I'm just thinking out loud

*We do not condone trying to rob someone's power from their 7 pin trailer plug in a parking lot without their consent! LOL

mustube

Reaction score
Nobody makes a male to male cable. You would have to put it together yourself. I also would only use it to get your doors open and then hook up a charger or jumper cables directly through the battery and not try to run that many amps through that tiny gauge wire.

stevens6.7

Reaction score
thats the risk you take for security. how many times has your battery gone so dead the doorlocks wouldnt unlock? most of these trucks have battery savers so if an electronic function is left on it kills it after ten minutes or so. i have had it where the battery wasnt strong enough to start the truck but usually it can muster up enough juice to open the drivers door lock.

Yeah that is true though!

You can charge the battery through a 7 pin trailer plug if it's completely dead.

Thanks man for the information!!

Latest posts

Members online