Replacing the TC only?

Elliott

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I think my converter is getting weak, but the trans seems to be still doing OK. Currently running the Latest Spartan files, seeing around 60-80 rpm slip on the big tunes. It still seems to hold fine on the 210 TP, but it seems like I'm wasting a lot of power in slippage on the bigger files. A built tranny is in the truck's future, but I was wondering if just dropping in a better TC would get me through until the funds are available for a good trans. On that note, I would love to hear anyone's opinion on NADP's trannies for the 6.4? Being based out of Edmonton, they are only a 1.5 hour drive from where I live.
Appreciate any advice or opinions.
Thanks!
Dave

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
I would de tune to the 210 and run it that way until I could do a trans and converter. I thought that my TC was going and did a suncoast converter. It did help but for some more money I could have done it all.

chromehound

Reaction score
If a built trans is in the plans I'd run what you've got on lower tunes and just run it 'till it blows/quits and then worry about it. Just my $0.02

CamTom12

Reaction score
I'm thinking about running an upgraded TC in the stock trans. It should help the situation and if you've got a decent trans and don't beat it all day long I don't see why it wouldn't be a good "layaway plan" towards the end result.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Your torque converter is fine if you're only seeing 60-80 RPM. Mine was still holding up fine seeing 150-200 RPM of slip with the stocker.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I have a stock tranny that is holding up great. I see 60 rpm of slip on the 310 tune. Having an RCD converter and traction bars installed today. I dont plan on building the trans until after the new compounds are on

madman1234509

Reaction score
It's hard to say. Obviously if you're seeing slip its going to benefit. Other brand truck owners often just do a converter to start. Plus the benefit of different stall speeds

Elliott

Reaction score
I just think it would drive better and more than likely feel more powerful with a more stout converter. I forgot to add that my truck seems to struggle locking up the TC with the Big tunes under hard acceleration. It will lock in 5th, then quickly unlock and then it seems to struggle to lock back up, sometimes 2-3 secs. Does anyone have any feedback on NADP's tranny's and TC's? I would have no problem running a Suncoast, Elite, RCD, or MPD setup. But, being a Canuck and living close to NADP's shop, it would be a convenient option. Any feedback appreciated.
Dave

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
There is only one 5R110 for the 6.4 out there that I'm aware of and its on a pallet waiting to go into a truck.

If your dead set on putting in a converter, do it. But if you drive on the larger tunes aggressively, you will be buying a trans soon enough. With the stronger lock up more stress will be put on the trans. That's why most of use are suggesting de-tuning and saving enough to do it all at once. Your call though.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I have a stock tranny that is holding up great. I see 60 rpm of slip on the 310 tune. Having an RCD converter and traction bars installed today. I dont plan on building the trans until after the new compounds are on

Post up your results, and Seat of the pants feel. I am considering the same thing, more as a preventative measure than a fix, and wanna see how she fares.... A new trans is only a few more bucks, especially if I do it when the cab is already off....

madman1234509

Reaction score
I definitely will do a write up on it. I owe RCD a write up on the converter and the cam just because of their awesome customer service!

Spderjhn

Reaction score
I swapped converter 50,000 hard miles ago. My trans is still strong and I have piece of mind of hammering on better converter. My pi convert has a bearing going out so I am getting ready to pull tranny this week or next and send it back to get worked on. I am going to run it till tranny dies then rebuild but don't expect it anytime soon I drain and change filter every 30,000 and cut filter open and looks fine to me

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I swapped converter 50,000 hard miles ago. My trans is still strong and I have piece of mind of hammering on better converter. My pi convert has a bearing going out so I am getting ready to pull tranny this week or next and send it back to get worked on. I am going to run it till tranny dies then rebuild but don't expect it anytime soon I drain and change filter every 30,000 and cut filter open and looks fine to me

That is quite reassuring. Thanks for posting up. I am doing the suncoast converter, and a deep trans pan. That and running the sct trans tuning, I hope mine lasts a long time....

HOPE!?!? LOL

Dustball8504

Reaction score
Interesting, I may try this as well. I only pull a sled a few times a year and hit the track maybe 3 times a year as well...

Latest posts

Members online