Replacing tranny solenoid??

MT KingRanch

Reaction score
I've seen a bit about the GoGo solenoid, saw one for sale on another website, would someone shed a little light on the why's of installing it? Sounds like a pretty simple install.
This solenoid raises the pressure for the clutch plates?
Have got everything done to my engine to run good tunes, don't have my signature updated as just got around to registering.
Thanks in advance.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
From what I understand ( and I do not have first hand experience), the solenoid is for trucks running wild tunes or bigger power. It allows more flow of fluid to eliminate the shift "flare" as everyone calls it.

If you plan on tuning, putting bigger injectors/turbo's - yes it is worth it. I will be doing it at some point soon, if my trans even holds up.

MT KingRanch

Reaction score
Ok, well I'll have to read up on this a bit more, not running big HP, can't even get an SCT X4 (2) to tune my PCM yet.
Just wondered if this would help the tranny as far as reliability, it would be an easy mod to do for $150 and pulling the tranny pan to plug it in.

Mdub707

Reaction score
It is a worthwhile improvement on even a stock truck IMO. That 3-5 shift flare is pretty common. I have it pretty bad right now on my stock injector truck.

Derkperk

Reaction score
I installed one from Steve at absolute performance a few weeks ago and it is night and day. The 3-5 shift is fast and precise. Well worth it. My truck took about 7 QTS of fluid with it.

sent using tapatalk because my iPone died

sootie

Reaction score
typically-a modded dd solenoid is not necessary unless you have a pronounced 3-5 shift flare.

good tuning can usually accomplish the same thing.

MT KingRanch

Reaction score
Ok, good info to know. A question about the 3-5 shift flare, as I haven't had a tune in my truck for a month, and only then for a day trying them out before the X4 quit working.
Am presuming the shift flare would be an increase in rpm at those shift points, indicating slipping clutches due to not enough pressure on the clutch packs, which will eventually take those plates out!!??

Mdub707

Reaction score
You'll know if you have it, it's sort of a delay going in between gears. Doesn't really rev crazy high, just sort of smoothly and slowly goes into gear, not a firm, crisp shift like it should be.

sootie

Reaction score
one of ours flared almost 500rpm on that shift-cured by gearhead SRL fwiw

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Its a quicker actuating solenoid, so you don't get the hang or delay that the factory solenoid can do. The Direct clutch solenoids controls the 3-5 shift and also reverse, so it has more jobs than the rest of the solenoids do and therefore tends to wear out faster than the rest also. When this happens you can experience the delay in the 3-5 shift, or shift flare as its referred to on the forums.

However that issue can also be caused by worn OD clutch packs as well. So if your are already having this issue there is a chance that the trans is worn out, and the solenoid isn't going to fix that.

This is more of a preventative modification to do prior to having a flare / delay shift issue, because most people in our experience do not address the issue right away and tent to only deal with it once its gotten even worse. By then chances are the damage is already done. I'm just stating this to clear the air, some people have the misconception that this solenoid is a magic little fairy that will repair your already worn out transmission. But if you catch it in time it can very well prevent the damage from occurring from a worn out Direct Clutch Solenoid.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
Its a quicker actuating solenoid, so you don't get the hang or delay that the factory solenoid can do. The Direct clutch solenoids controls the 3-5 shift and also reverse, so it has more jobs than the rest of the solenoids do and therefore tends to wear out faster than the rest also. When this happens you can experience the delay in the 3-5 shift, or shift flare as its referred to on the forums.

However that issue can also be caused by worn OD clutch packs as well. So if your are already having this issue there is a chance that the trans is worn out, and the solenoid isn't going to fix that.

This is more of a preventative modification to do prior to having a flare / delay shift issue, because most people in our experience do not address the issue right away and tent to only deal with it once its gotten even worse. By then chances are the damage is already done. I'm just stating this to clear the air, some people have the misconception that this solenoid is a magic little fairy that will repair your already worn out transmission. But if you catch it in time it can very well prevent the damage from occurring from a worn out Direct Clutch Solenoid.
Thanks. You answered my question before I asked

MT KingRanch

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed explanation SeaBee.
I think this is something I'll install, about everything else I've done to my truck is along the same lines.:pint:
Just waiting on SCT to figure out this issue with my X4, and put away enough cash to have Charlie build me a turbo!!

Mdub707

Reaction score
I have a recently rebuilt Ford trans, all new internals and it's starting to flare already. Shifted fine when I picked it up and has since started flaring pretty good. I'm definitely going to do the solenoid.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Thanks. You answered my question before I asked

Thanks for the detailed explanation SeaBee.
I think this is something I'll install, about everything else I've done to my truck is along the same lines.:pint:
Just waiting on SCT to figure out this issue with my X4, and put away enough cash to have Charlie build me a turbo!!

No problem guys.

I have a recently rebuilt Ford trans, all new internals and it's starting to flare already. Shifted fine when I picked it up and has since started flaring pretty good. I'm definitely going to do the solenoid.

When most shops rebuild the 5R110's, they do not replace the solenoids. Just clean then and swap them over, however at the very least the direct should be changed out.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
Maybe you should call anonymously and ask them what they normally do for a rebuild job. I've had issues with shops reusing parts and shortly after they fail. When I called and played dumb, they usually give too much info. Worth a try

Latest posts

Members online