Resealing bed plate job

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Got my first bed plate job on this motor. What's pictured is the separation of the old black oil next to the new dyed oil. Why are they separated for the most part? When these leak is it just the crankcase pressure pushing it pass the rear engine cover seal? I could watch a line of oil for in between the bed plate and block and push out out with everyone engine Rev.
20140624_085910_zpsmoookf97.png
20140624_085835_zpsycchjcxv.png

Is there any hard parts updating to be done here also? Thanks

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Also, how do you guys set this up on a stand when both the front and rear covers have to come off to reseal bed?

taterthedog

Reaction score
Also, how do you guys set this up on a stand when both the front and rear covers have to come off to reseal bed?

I used a big engine stand that had adjustable arms that bolted to the sides of the block. It had a crank that you turned to slowly rotate the engine. It was a Ford tool. A bit clumsier than a traditional engine stand though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I'm seeing that's almost the only option. But I do have my current stand rigged up. Gotta run and grab some bolts and I may have it configured!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Oh look what I found in the pan. Now top end has to come apart. I should have just quoted an engine like everything else
20140624_130142_zpsov0bckbi.jpg

Reaction score
That's just from the rocker arms! And if am also taking apart my 6.4 if you can pm me on some tricks and what to watch out for on when rebuilding these motors!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yes, I know it's from the tips, but that means there is damage. Sure enough, ordered entire set of bridges and rockers

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
like every other 6.4 I have seen, a somewhat constant stream.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
for the labor involved, you can probably see why people quote a short or long block swing...

after you do the work, you're on the hook for warranty :eek:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
That's exactly why I always just quoted out remans. But this particular fleet just did a major budget overhaul, after spending probably over $150k so far this year alone with us.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I got this working. But yes I have submitted my want for a stand of that type. Sucks cause you need another $600 in brackets for the powerstroke. Oh well.

I got the bed plate all sealed and torqued up. Rtv lined the plate than set press in gasket in like manual says to. Cleaned up the front and rear after torque. I was a bit confused when setting the front cover, the bed plate seal nipple stuck out so much, but I figured when the front cover is torqued it pushes back in and seals the gap back there.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Front main. The last one I installed had a wear sleeve. That one got loctited in. Now any front seal I order has a green wear sleeve. Does this new seal go on dry or what? There is no service information anywhere and the part number supercedes to this one with new style wear sleeve

webb06

Reaction score
I got this working. But yes I have submitted my want for a stand of that type. Sucks cause you need another $600 in brackets for the powerstroke. Oh well.

I got the bed plate all sealed and torqued up. Rtv lined the plate than set press in gasket in like manual says to. Cleaned up the front and rear after torque. I was a bit confused when setting the front cover, the bed plate seal nipple stuck out so much, but I figured when the front cover is torqued it pushes back in and seals the gap back there.

The rubber gasket that is sticking out I cut off on my engine. Mine was about 1/2" sticking out. You'll apply silicone there anyway when putting the front cover on

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.