reuse arp head studs?

obspsd

Reaction score
I'm sure theres other threads like this on here but i cant seem to find any. i just had a head gasket let go and as bad as it sounds i'm kinda relieved because i've been having some wierd issues lately and i'm thinking this could be the cause of it all. so my questions is can you reuse arp head studs? and are h11s worth the exta coin?? my arp studs now have only been torqued once. also whats a good gasket to use? oem?? thanks in advance for the help and information

Zmann

Reaction score
yes
straight from ARP they are reusable unless there was an issue with the HG's

then you need to check them for stretch

Oem seems to have the vote for Head gaskets or most any gasket

TARM

Reaction score
That is true ONLY if they were not overtorqued to the point of being taken past the yield point. IMO if you took them over a properly installed/measured 125ftlb then you should measure them with a micrometer to make sure they were not stretched.

The reason for the rep among some as only being good for one or a couple retorques is they were over torquing them past the yield limit so they would stretch and finally break. I recall when a number of people were taking them to 145ftlb when they were rated for 125

obspsd

Reaction score
I only torqued mine to spec. Is there really any advantage to over torquing them?i know some dodge guys do that. Also i didn't retorque mine after i installed them i was told i didn't need to, is this true?

TARM

Reaction score
Technically with the new lube you are not suppose to need a hot retorque. I would clarify with the tech dept whether its case of no need to in their opinion or a case of its bad too. Such as somehow causing a over tq situation.

Honestly if I could do it over again I would have gone with H11.

Zmann

Reaction score
no re torque with the new lube or old lube on ARP's /OEM or any other 6.0 stud bolt I have ever seen
Why are your ARP's giving u issue's Tarm

obspsd

Reaction score
I have also decided to get h11s just to be on the safe side so if anyone is looking for some arps let me know. And i talked to arp and they can be retorqued as long as they haven't been over torqued which these haven't. And tarm, arp said hot torque could result in over torque

DZL JIM

Reaction score
If ARP studs are good enough for a moderately built 6.0 that only has 10 studs per side, why aren't ARP studs good enough for a 7.3 that has 18 studs per side? (I know there is a dia difference, but......)

:popcorn:

skylinedan

Reaction score
That is true ONLY if they were not overtorqued to the point of being taken past the yield point. IMO if you took them over a properly installed/measured 125ftlb then you should measure them with a micrometer to make sure they were not stretched.

The reason for the rep among some as only being good for one or a couple retorques is they were over torquing them past the yield limit so they would stretch and finally break. I recall when a number of people were taking them to 145ftlb when they were rated for 125

145#, LOL. 125# is more than enough to hold them down, I never understood why people think lets give them a little extra for good messure, the bolts are designed to be torqued at a set point and only that point.

njjeep

Reaction score
OP. Was the gasket that let go an old seasoned gasket, or was it fairly new? Also, if it was new how long did you wait until you gave it over 30 psi of boost?

obspsd

Reaction score
It was a seasoned factory gasket. How long should i wait when i install the new one

Latest posts

Members online