Review of H&S Intercooler Pipe and No Limit Intake

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Received these late last week and really wanted to get them on before hauling my toyhauler for the weekend = 25klbs gross. I've been very nervous about the Intercooler pipe with the sustained high boost & heavy loads that hauling the trailer causes.

H&S Intercooler Pipe.

First up opened the box and went thru all the parts. Ugh, no instructions. Oh well, guess it's pretty straight forward. Turns out, there should have been a slip of paper in there w/ a link to instructions on their site and this was just missing. After counting noses and coming up short on a coupler I called H&S (Friday afternoon) no answer. But they called back w/in 15 min (bravo.) Told me instructions were on the site. So NBD.
Also explained how to cut the band on the stock pipe and re-use the silicone coupler. I had concerns about this as the band was really squished on there and wasn't sure how I'd cut it off w/o nicking the coupler. My fears were justified as even with care I did nick the coupler ever so slightly. Not bad, but there's a weak spot now on the pressure side. IMHO I should replace this.
The other downside to this is that if the EPA ever does manage to come after us as individuals I'll have to replace the whole pipe from Ford in order to return to stock.
Oh well.
Install was straight forward and I had it 90% done by the time they called.
My only hiccup was that I painted the tube and with the humidity so high the paint hadn't hardened when I went to install so it looks like crap (fingerprints all over.) I'll take it out, wetsand it and repaint when I have time.

Hits:
Clean fit
Nice CNC machined adapter

Misses:
Re-uses a 'joined' boot from the stock pipe. For the $$ they charge for this kit, you'd think they could include a piece of silicone coupler.
Pipe is raw, would be nice if there were a polished option.
Can't go back to stock w/o buying parts b/c you cut off the boot.
High possibility of damage to boot when cutting off w/ a grinder (or similar.)

Conclusion:
Overall, nice kit, certainly takes the worry out of the factory intercooler tube blowing apart on the road.

Anyone know where I can get that piece of coupler?

No Limits Fabrication intake.
Again, no instructions, but again, pretty straight forward.
Massive air cleaner. Nice. I'd just changed my stock one 5-6kmi ago and it was really nasty already. Don't know why, not like I offroad this thing.
Massive piece of tube. Got it polished and it looks OK. About a grade C polish. Full of filth, NBD, but something to watch for. Be sure to wash the inside before install.
One concern I have is there's nothing to support the air cleaner portion. It just hangs out in space and will bounce around quite a bit I'm sure. I stuffed it into the fender so it would bounce freely, but this is not a long term solution. Looking for answers on this. Maybe some sort of hanger on the engine that supports it where it clamps?

Hits:
BIG pipe.
BIG air cleaner.
Good quality band clamps.

Misses:
Nothing to support it so it'll bounce around. Could wear holes in the air cleaner itself or even the secondary coolant tank which it's right close to.

Conclusion:
From low speed acceleration we keep hearing the wambulance in the distance - turbo whine. Once over 40-50mph the tires drown it out, but I keep hearing sirens - lol.
:pullover:
Performance: Butt dyno says no change. Butt dyno not very accurate and the small change an air filter would make is probably not detectable by my butt.
MPG: This one surprised me, I track my mpg in fuelly and on this trip (Greenville, SC to Brushy Mountain and back) netted 9.1mpg towing the toyhauler. Aoubt a 1/2 a tank of fuel. Going to Ohio Bike week 2 months ago we got like 7.2mpg. We were a little heavier (two bikes and two bumpers vs 1 atv & full fresh water tank,) I dropped the nose on the trailer and we were probably going a little faster going to Ohio too. But still, I was surprised. Also first time ever that the Lie-O-Meter was on the pessimistic side. LOM said 9mpg, actual was 9.1. It's usually 1mpg optimistic.

I think this kit is a nice addition, though I'd like to see some sort of support for the air cleaner itself so it's not bouncing around.

jcain

Reaction score
You'll see how necessary it is when it grenades and leaves you stranded. And Lord knows it'll be 2am in the mountains 100miles from anything.

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
I would consider it a necessity rather than an upgrade!! I just went through this in July on my way to the track. Luckily it came apart in a way it could be redneck engineered until I could better redneck engineer it till my H&S pipe showed up! I bet if I was pulling my trailer instead of my pop pulling tow duty, I'd have been stranded for sure. It let go with only 27k miles on it and I'm not hard on the truck.

Keith

zporta

Reaction score
When taking the clamp off the factory coupler I used a Dremel with grinder wheel and cut a small line in it. Once I got about half way through the pressure from the band made it pop on its own. I had the same nervous feeling as you.

Notneb

Reaction score
I went with the SS piping kit, it's got a bracket that bolts the intake pipe to the block, takes the wiggle out of the intake.

Notneb

Reaction score
Here you can see the bracket in my build thread. I ended up just moving the pipe towards the front of the truck so it lined up. Keeps it from moving a lot however I imagine over rough terrain there's still some bouncing. If it proves to be too much I'm probably going to fab my own bracket toward the filter that will use the factory air box mount.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64954&page=4

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score
Thanks again for choosing our products!! We always welcome reviews and are constantly trying to better our product. Sorry for the no instructions in the box, but we did changeover to just providing a QR card with the kits. The card has a direct link to our site for all the full color instructions for each kit. We did this to cut down on the use of paper product and make it easier when we had to change or update any items in each kit. We also decided not to provide the upper silicon connector in this kit to keep it as cheap as possible, as we thought it was already expensive enough with the cnc throttle flange and other items provided. Keep in mind all our products are manufactured in the U.S.A. and unfortunately that is just not cheap to do anymore. Our other intercooler pipe upgrade kit (122004) provides the upper connector as you can see from the $50 price difference, and is a 100% OEM replacement with no aftermarket tuning or original parts needed. We did have another reason for using the OEM boot, but if you want that one you'll have to call me..... I have also installed No Limit's intakes on a few trucks here and found if you adjust the intake boots and air filter, they seem to clear and not contact anything, just my .02 cents..... Mike makes a great product and I'm sure he'll chime in. I'll stop typing my novel now, and once again thanks for choosing our products!! We do try and provide the best customer service and products in the industry.

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Always enjoy seeing vendor responses. You'll be getting an order from me somewhat soon!

let me know , i gots the H&S deals whenever you want them !

as for the comment about the no limit intake needing a brace, it doesn't need one. i have customers that off road and the intake has had no issues with bouncing, thats why we ******d the brace from the original version. it caused more fitment problems then solutions.

DWhite

Reaction score
I have had mine no limit intake on for a while and drive down rough roads and I've never noticed any rubbing on anything. I think the rubber is strong enough that it holds it pretty well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.