Rocker arm and why people are stupid

whtdmax

Reaction score
Hey everyone.... I recently got a 08 f250, king ranch. The truck had 170k on it but, was clean beyond belief. Anyway, it started with the notorious thumping back in the intake. Upon research, I found that rocker arm failure was pretty common with these trucks. I pulled the valve cover last night to find more than worn rockers. This is the true meaning of why people need killing. The part that kills me is that, where they put the shim was on one of the better rockers. Also, if anyone knows where to buy rockers besides the Ford dealer, I would appreciate it. Ive seen them online for 240 a set/assembly but they are on backorder. Ford of course wants 600 per assembly!! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• King Ranch Rockers 1.jpg
    King Ranch Rockers 1.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 343
  • King Ranch Rockers 2.jpg
    King Ranch Rockers 2.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 317
  • King Ranch Rockers 3.jpg
    King Ranch Rockers 3.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 255
  • King Ranch Rockers 4.jpg
    King Ranch Rockers 4.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 248
  • King Ranch Rockers 5.jpg
    King Ranch Rockers 5.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

whtdmax

Reaction score
I second that..I just pray it didnt get a piston. I beyond scared to do a compression test.

78f100

Reaction score
Lol t hats messed up. Ford should sell you the assembly for 240ish $ per side. The have been backordered though. I just got some for stock I ordered over a month ago. I'm sure some of the vendors on here have some, check with morgan at midwest.

whtdmax

Reaction score
Thanks 78f100. I will check into that. I hasnt thrown any codes and from what I can tell, doesnt skip. I am just terrifed its not worse than this. With my luck tho, it will be a piston, lifter and rod bearing! smh

webb06

Reaction score
you can buy the rocker set individually which weren't back ordered last time i checked. only difference is that you don't get the rocker pedistal

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
the fun stuff is when the little clips are broken straight out of the box from Ford

I love me some zip ties, but they have NO place under a valve cover! LOL

78f100

Reaction score
Thanks 78f100. I will check into that. I hasnt thrown any codes and from what I can tell, doesnt skip. I am just terrifed its not worse than this. With my luck tho, it will be a piston, lifter and rod bearing! smh

Well I have never seen any with shims on them but have seen several that were wore down to the actual arm. Most time you can replace them and all is well.
If you get the set from cutting edge you could buy the missing 2 individual arms from ford and would be all set. Iirc they are 30ish each and like already said should be in stock. Last month when the assembles were on back order my dealer had them individually.

superpsd

Reaction score
Those stupid ****ers don't they know they should have used duct tape after the zip ties to ensure a strong bonding

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Truck was patched up, and prolly ran to a auction. It happens everyday. And if the owner doesnt was to pay for the correct repairs, what do ya do. I used to be forced into making ****ty cover ups like that years ago to keep the good work flow year round from that person. But i have since parted and went my separate way. *** that.

Autoguns

Reaction score
To have it taken apart far enough to do a patch like that most would just do a single rocker replace. To ty wrap a piece to the rocker than sell the truck is just wrong.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
To have it taken apart far enough to do a patch like that most would just do a single rocker replace. To ty wrap a piece to the rocker than sell the truck is just wrong.

You havent been involved with a cheap ass dealer then have you???

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
You havent been involved with a cheap ass dealer then have you???

I've seen some crazy stuff. People wonder why I look at them like they're craft when they talk about shopping at area used truck lots. I've been privy to some pretty shameful stuff on the wholesale and retail side of used truck sales.

I just flat out won't deal with dealers or shops that turn out shoddy stuff like that, and I assure you, in this area, that leaves a very small pool of people I'll deal with.

I only know two area truck lots that I can send people to that will actually at least fix the bare minimum of issues CORRECTLY. Everything else I see is pure patch & punt BS.

I really don't make much on the trucks I buy/sell, but I sleep good at night knowing that it'll most likely be one of if not the best used vehicle they've owned because I go above and beyond replacing potential failure points with quality OEM stuff.

Obviously I buy/sell trucks on a hobby level, not professional, so I can afford that luxury.

My point? Buy private party from an enthusiast :)

Latest posts

Members online