rolls in park and there is a rachetty noise

knowalibis

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
99 f350 diesel dually 4 door
sometimes wont go into park as it rolls after it is place in park...there is a rachetty noise when this occurs...sometimes wont start unless slammed into park or put in nuetral...i have 94k on it..transmission seems ok other than that..i dont drive it much unless the big Donzi is on the back...i always use the parking brake however it is starting to slip so new parking pads are in order...i have heard that the paw works or its broke...true?..help please

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Ok, I know its not the same truck but my dads 98 ranger was doing the same exact thing.... He was always putting stuff off and never had it looked at, he just dealt with it until it started not starting unless you put it in neutral first and wouldn't go in to park at all. He took it to a transmission shop and they told him had he brought it in when it first started acting up they could have either adjusted the cable like joe said or something else .... But instead the truck is now sitting needing a full transmission rebuild....

qcfarmer

Reaction score
I have a 97 f150 that is doing the same thing. It needs a cable adjustment.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I'll bet it is loose bolts that hold the shift tube to the steering column. There are two Torx head bolts on the steering column near the floor. It is common for them to loosen or even fall out. I think that's your problem.

Arisley

Reaction score
I'll bet it is loose bolts that hold the shift tube to the steering column. There are two Torx head bolts on the steering column near the floor. It is common for them to loosen or even fall out. I think that's your problem.

That is my bet also. Put a dab of blue Loktite on them when you put them back in. Don't use red Loktite.

George4

Reaction score

I had to fix mine last month.

knowalibis

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Gentlemen
thank you for the advice..I tightened the 2 torx bolts and the transmission shifting into park issues have gone away..still having the abs light, speedometer and overdrive light issues and I will replace the vss to see if that goes away...can anyone recommend an inexpensive trans cooler that i can add on?

knowalibis

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
what tranny do i have

what trans is in this truck...e40d or 4r100?...there is a tag on the driver side of the trans just below the black shift module...the number if i read it correctly was

7g f81p-lbprb-j10008166d-8b27...

Latest posts

Members online