S366 VS Full Force BASB Bell 300 series Turbo

Swaan

Reaction score
Also, it makes sense that Pigs would come up with a compressor wheel that flows more air than a 366 but spool faster down low. Otherwise, you could just go to a smaller 300 series turbo that has the faster spool up without the higher cfm flow and spend less money. Can't wait to get mine :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Everyone always thinks it's the compressor wheel size that dictates how fast a turbo will spool. Although this is true to a certain extent, the biggest effect on spool comes from the turbine side. As in the size of the turbine wheel and the A/r of the ex housing. The basb uses a 68 mm tw. The 366 uses a 74 mm tw. Big diffrence.

nossliw

Reaction score
What kind of fuel economy do you get with that gearing?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

17.8-19.2 daily driving and hand calced, mainly hwy at 65-70mph. Believe it or not using a fuel addy does make a difference for me at elevation.... i didn't believe it at first.

Towing 12-14,000 lbs in an enclosed gooseneck sail I see 11-13mpg at the the same altitude...

Daily elevation change is typically 5,000-7,600 feet daily... goes to about 9mpg when I pull 70 over Eisenhower and Vail with that weight...but that's 5,000 up to 11,000 and 4th and 3rd gear only...

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
17.8-19.2 daily driving and hand calced, mainly hwy at 65-70mph. Believe it or not using a fuel addy does make a difference for me at elevation.... i didn't believe it at first.

Towing 12-14,000 lbs in an enclosed gooseneck sail I see 11-13mpg at the the same altitude...

Daily elevation change is typically 5,000-7,600 feet daily... goes to about 9mpg when I pull 70 over Eisenhower and Vail with that weight...but that's 5,000 up to 11,000 and 4th and 3rd gear only...

I believe that as it makes a difference for me and I am not where near your elev. The most in the winter when they switch the fuels. Also makes it run noticeably quieter which is from the increased lubridicty it adds. I run Schaeffers fuel additive. I pick up 1-2 mpg in the warmer months and 3 in the winter.

Reaction score

.... ever get your 366 installed?

uw mitch

Reaction score

Swaan

Reaction score
Glad your happy with the turbo Mitch.
Funny ,when I had it I never thought it was overly loud. I liked the nice whistle it had under boost. Never found it annoying or anything thou. I was running a 6637 , not sure if that would be any different.

uw mitch

Reaction score
I tried chopping up my Donaldson AIS enclosure to hopefully muffle some of low boost whistle - did very little for the effort put in. I love the whistle driving around town, spooling up and spooling down like a jet. It's just the freeway speed constant whistle I dislike. Maybe because it's the same frequency as the tinnitus in my mostly deaf right ear...hearing it in the left ear from the turbo is psychologically troubling...i don't know.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I tried chopping up my Donaldson AIS enclosure to hopefully muffle some of low boost whistle - did very little for the effort put in. I love the whistle driving around town, spooling up and spooling down like a jet. It's just the freeway speed constant whistle I dislike. Maybe because it's the same frequency as the tinnitus in my mostly deaf right ear...hearing it in the left ear from the turbo is psychologically troubling...i don't know.

I wonder if you could put some sort of foam/fiberglass in the air box that would absorb/attenuate the frequency/frequencies that are problematic. We used to use Owens Corning 703 to handle first reflection points in home theater setups. I think there is a correlation between the thickness/density and the frequencies effected. Might want to look into something like that.

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
I would love to see one of you guys do an in cab video of one of these Bell turbos. A straight drive video would be even better with a focus on the boost and egt gauges.

uw mitch

Reaction score
I would love to see one of you guys do an in cab video of one of these Bell turbos. A straight drive video would be even better with a focus on the boost and egt gauges.

I can probably do that. I've got a GoPro mount in cab - although it's a pretty wide angle so not sure how much of the boost and EGT you can see. I'd have to get a suction cup mount to the window or something to get close in enough.

~Mitch

Last edited:

ChattyCathy

Reaction score

Here you go:thumbsup:

th_BoostVideos008.mp4
[/URL][/IMG]

ja_cain

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for posting that! Has a nice whistle to it. Looks like above 2000 it builds boost instantly. Would be great to see how well it spools starting at 1500 rpm.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for posting that! Has a nice whistle to it. Looks like above 2000 it builds boost instantly. Would be great to see how well it spools starting at 1500 rpm.

Pius chargers all sound like that...That is a triple set pius put together.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.