S400 Competition Turbo with 250/200s

powerstroke95

Reaction score
I know very little about turbos, but I’ve been doing as much research as I can. I see the S468 seems to be very popular for DD purposes, but I’ve got a slightly different goal in mind. I’m looking for opinions on a well suited turbo for my play truck. It will be rarely driven on the street and paired with 250/200’s, and possibly a small shot of nitrous at the strip. I was thinking something around the 72-75 range (comp), since street manners aren’t a big concern. Opinions?

That brings me to the exhaust size. Seems a larger exhaust, such as 88mm, is common for 7.3. I’m assuming because of displacement. Then of course there’s A/R to figure in there. I'm assuming if I go with a smaller turbine I want a larger A/R.

So at a rough guess I want to try something like a S472/88/.9? Open to all suggestions and guidance.

97stoker350

Reaction score
I would go with an 83 1.10 housing and wastegate it if you want to run nitrous, you might not even need a gate. I have a 68/83 with my 250s and it spools pretty quick even with 40s and bp is like 1:1 wot. But it will mostly rely on tuning.

powerstroke95

Reaction score
Yeah thats the thing. For simplicity, Id rather not have a gate. If i have to, I have to, but i was thinking a larger housing would prevent that.

David N

Reaction score
Stock bottom end?

I'd be prepared for throwing a rod.

A good friend of mine has an S468, with 300/200's. The truck is a CCSB 4x4, and he has been 7.6-7.7 on fuel.

Reaction score
But yes there is a concern when he is talking a out spraying nitrous. Ask me how I know? I would run a 468 83 1.15 housing and roll with it. Makes for a great street and strip setup. Like David said I was running 7.6s-7.7s in a full weight ccsb truck on fuel. Add a little nitrous and your looking at solid mid 7s that is with all supporting mods

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

powerstroke95

Reaction score
But yes there is a concern when he is talking a out spraying nitrous. Ask me how I know? I would run a 468 83 1.15 housing and roll with it. Makes for a great street and strip setup. Like David said I was running 7.6s-7.7s in a full weight ccsb truck on fuel. Add a little nitrous and your looking at solid mid 7s that is with all supporting mods

Yeah I realize the gamble and I have multiple engines available. I dont depend on this truck or anything. Is your buddies S468 gated?

Reaction score
No my 468 wasn't gated just a 1.15 housing. Even though you have engines available why not just build one instead of trashing good motors?

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
go with an s 475 92/82mm turbine wheel and 1.0 housing. The larger wheel and turbine will give you some lag which will put the peak power past the peak torque and give you a better chance of keeping your engine together. responsive turbos are not good for weak bottom ends.

Jason

Reaction score
That setup that smokin has would fly in a rclb 2wd if you could overcome the inevitable traction problems.

7.6's convert to 11.70's roughly, if he can keep that pull going through the last 1/8th mile.

Reaction score
My setup on a rclb obs would be insane might be something I do in the near future if funds allow. It definitely keeps pullin hard just never had the chance to run any 1/4 tracks

Latest posts

Members online