School me on differentials

Peroni

Reaction score
3) someone spoke about not using the crush sleeve and getting steel spacer and shims for the pinion. Care to explain to me a little further about this and how do I get it?

The crush sleeve eliminator is a solid steel ring that comes with several thin shims. You add or remove shims from the ring to get the required bearing pre-load. I got mine from Raytech, it wasn't expensive. I think it's far superior to a crush sleeve.

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Reaction score
Ok so here's my thinking on repairing this.
Gonna pull the axles completely out and tear the hubs down. Get the rear end completely disassembled and then clean everything really good to avoid leaving any metal inside. Going to repack or replace the outer axle bearings. Getting a used but good limited slip and carrier. Ordering a master rebuild kit and new ring and pinion from G2 and putting it all back together.

Opinions or advice on this plan?

Also ordered the differential Bible to help me out on any setup issues lol :D

sent while doing burnouts somewhere in the country

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Good plan. You can get a bunch of info on the net for setting up rearends. No just FYI the bolts for the carriers I have done are left handed threads. So dont have a few beers and hit them with an impact thinking you are taking them out, they like to break.
With that said I would make sure your torque wrench will read turning to the left. I found out the hard way but had my dads old school bar type.

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Reaction score
Is the carrier for 10.25 the same as 10.5? I ask because this is a 10.5 rear end with 10.25 gear set and I need a new limited slip carrier

sent while doing burnouts somewhere in the country

Binder man

Reaction score
I'm just going out on a limb here...but I'm going to guess setup was improper when the new gears and locker were installed. Possibly a little to tight like most people set them up. When gears are moving they are constantly trying to pull themselves apart, it's the nature of the beast, I set them the pinion pretty tight to the ring gear but leave 10-12 thou backlash in it for this reason. Replace everything in the diff just to cover your ass, if the client says no, make sure that warranty is void and customer signs it. G2 will be fine unless this guy works the hell out of this truck.

As you found out the L is for long, if you get into doing to many rear ends there can also be wide and thin ring gears depending on the case. A+ for doing your homework on the part numbers.

Also as mentioned if this is a 10.5 axle with 10.25 gears could be another reason for failure if the wrong kit was put in.

m j

Reaction score
that is an extreme case of a failed pinion crush sleeve.
if you would like to see it happen again rebuild it without adding a crush sleeve eliminator.
as they all seem to crush the sleeve and change pinion preload to pinion clearance over time `get another one`is not going to solve anything

an eliminator is something like $30 and a couple of minutes with a file to clearance it for the fillet radius on the sterling pinion.
the yukon piece is pretty slick IMO and I would not do a sterling without it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.