SD PCM in OBS?

joedown

Reaction score
I recall reading about putting a SD PCM in the OBS but I cannot find it. It seemed like someone was working on this awhile back but it was not completed. Anyone remember this or know if this has been successfully done yet?

Tom S

Reaction score
I think Joey has it in one of his trucks. I was exploring the idea but quite playing with it when it looked like it would take a PCS or 4R100 and I already have a built trans in E4OD flavor. If I had manual trans I would have kept going.

psmike

Reaction score
the Sd pcm will work in a obs.. you need to switch some wiring around on the pins.. my calif truck is running a 49 state pcm...

BDP Tuner

Reaction score
Brian at BTS has a OBS with a SD PCM in it. When I talked to him about it before he said he took the whole harness out off a SD to do it.

PSDEng

Reaction score
Jon, are the tuning capabilities with a SD PCM, say a PMT1, that much greater than say a TDE1? Do you think the benefits are worth the time and money to switch?

superduty4x4

Reaction score
the Sd pcm will work in a obs.. you need to switch some wiring around on the pins.. my calif truck is running a 49 state pcm...
That's not quite the same as putting an SD PCM in though.

Yes it can be done. You have to re-pin the PCM and if you have an auto you need the 4R100 to replace the E4OD.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I think Joey has it in one of his trucks. I was exploring the idea but quite playing with it when it looked like it would take a PCS or 4R100 and I already have a built trans in E4OD flavor. If I had manual trans I would have kept going.

Joey did it in his 97. I've discussed it with him a bit. Said it works great but the abs light is always on and the tach has issues. I'm sure its something that can be fixed in time.

Brian at BTS has a OBS with a SD PCM in it. When I talked to him about it before he said he took the whole harness out off a SD to do it.

That's Cale's 95 race truck. 4r100, SD trans harness, re-pinned pcm connector, and SD pcm. All from a 2000 SD I believe.

I'm gathering parts to do this. Hopefully it'll be finished within he next year. Do I need to, no. Do I want to, YES!!

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Joey did it in his 97. I've discussed it with him a bit. Said it works great but the abs light is always on and the tach has issues. I'm sure its something that can be fixed in time.

That's Cale's 95 race truck. 4r100, SD trans harness, re-pinned pcm connector, and SD pcm. All from a 2000 SD I believe.

I'm gathering parts to do this. Hopefully it'll be finished within he next year. Do I need to, no. Do I want to, YES!!
You, sir, are suffering from a serious case of CLSA!

Strokersace

Reaction score
I'm sure that you can do it with a stick as well. Don't see why not. And actually would be easier with a stick IMO.

The main benefits are in the tuning perameters of the PCM. Fuel tables, shifting strategies for an auto, etc. The way that it was explained to me was this: The OBS tuning tables have say perameters of 1 thru 12. But they only step up every 3 perameters. So you only have techically 4 adjustment points in that total window. Whereas the SD tables have the same amount of perameters, however, a person can adjust at EVERY one instead of every 3. Giving you a full 12 adjustment points instead of 4. This allows for greater fine tuning, tweaking, and getting something absolutely perfect if you want it to. Gives greater flexibilty to customizing your setup wwhether it be shifting, idling, fueling, you name it.

Latest posts

Members online