Second oil change

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Oil analysis is the key for sure. But I would bet 1000$ you could take our oil out four to six times as far with similar or even better life cycles and save money on oil in the end. Ring coking in cheaper oils is easy to see as they then let in more soot and fuel shortening the life of the oil. And Monolec had proven itself time and time again when an asset is abused. We've had a few loaders have the oil drained out by vandals only to run without oil until the operator saw the temps rising. Seems to be popular in west michigan to try and destroy other people's stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread but I got a LE question for Jim.

I got a 6.4 here that only gets driven about 7-8k miles a year.

It's ******d and has around 105,000 miles on it.

What oil would you recommend and at what OCI since it sits?

Since it gets driven only around 8K a year wouldn't that mean a oil change every 2 years? With a oil filter and a oil sample sent off every 5K?

Would you recommend doing that?

Thanks.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of engine oil being in an asset for more than 18 months. But I have never seen any evidence not to. It's just me being super anal. But 5 k analysis, filter change, and top offs for 16k miles every two years is still well within my safe zone.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of engine oil being in an asset for more than 18 months. But I have never seen any evidence not to. It's just me being super anal. But 5 k analysis, filter change, and top offs for 16k miles every two years is still well within my safe zone.

Alright thanks.

CATDiezel

Reaction score

We're doing it in over a $1B worth of assets. Where oil is a large expense. Yet so is equipment failure. At some point you have to trust something with a balance.

However. I truthfully would like to run some LE at some point. I'm having a hard time dropping my royal purple as it has withstood a stout environment for what I use it in and ExxonMobil laboratory testing has shown the facts on it as well as polaris and even the underdog Blackstone labs. All showing very close same results.

I do agree with your understanding on Blackstone tho....

My point was for the guy dumping his oil because he's scared at 4-5k miles he might as well run the cheapest crap. Especially on a truck with full emissions. And notably only 5% of people will keep the truck long enough to even see the warranty run out. That's why Ford changes things every 5 years to keep people buying new!!

jimdawg185

Reaction score
We're doing it in over a $1B worth of assets. Where oil is a large expense. Yet so is equipment failure. At some point you have to trust something with a balance.

However. I truthfully would like to run some LE at some point. I'm having a hard time dropping my royal purple as it has withstood a stout environment for what I use it in and ExxonMobil laboratory testing has shown the facts on it as well as polaris and even the underdog Blackstone labs. All showing very close same results.

I do agree with your understanding on Blackstone tho....

My point was for the guy dumping his oil because he's scared at 4-5k miles he might as well run the cheapest crap. Especially on a truck with full emissions. And notably only 5% of people will keep the truck long enough to even see the warranty run out. That's why Ford changes things every 5 years to keep people buying new!!

I agree with balance. There's a reason you all do it the way you do with the oil you do it with. 80-90% of maintenance and asset management end up at a similar balance. But there's always a way to improve. Max Scherzer, former Tigers pitcher current Nationals Ace, said it best. If you're not getting better you're getting worse. Every customer of mine, as well as every non customer is now competing in a global market. And ISO 55000/1 isn't just a little thing I'm pushing In My little corner of the world. It's global. And it's becoming such a market advantage that soon other companies will mandate its implementation to sell products to them. Companies will no longer just want a consistent product produced, they will mandate your assets meet best practice practices and downtime requirements, which are 60 plus percent lower than what's acceptable now. I see 40-80 percent reduction in downtime with 55000 and LE implementation. And soon, that will be the global standard. If you're not getting better, you will be getting worse. At least compared to your competition.

Royal Purple is and has always been a good product. They are in a state of flux currently because the owner sold to an equity firm. Who in turn fired all their expensive high dollar chemical engineers and thus created a bunch of lawsuits for themselves because of patent rights infringements. The difference you will see between RP and LE us the effectiveness of the add pack. Rap and LE have similar base stocks and quality add packs. LE has a much better carrier, so it's more effective. And Monolec has a tremendous anti wear ability to boot.

And I agree about short oil drains. You will wear less with a higher quality oil even with short drains. But with heavy fuel dilution, it's a tough sell. My wife's ecoboost gets 15% fuel in the oil at 10k miles. But when we switched to LE from motorcraft, wear went down quite a bit. So even though I probably won't keep that thing long. I'm still pulling the trigger I the oil, just in case we do,

Last edited:

jimdawg185

Reaction score
It's available without the cool fittings I was working on. I send 6.4 and 6.0 with the pressure feed fittings. The return is up to the customer. I can supply the lame ass cap return. ButI really don't like it. Again, me being super anal.

Latest posts

Members online