Some dana 60 questions

EverettWV

Reaction score
Well after finding out I am going to need new brakes soon on my truck and with the d50 already needing a new axle shaft from a seized u-joint, I decided to start gathering parts for my dana 60 swap. I've been looking for a while now and finally found one that was close to me. Probably paid a little to much for it, but, I did not have to travel far to get it.

Did not come with the steering linkage, springs, the u-bolt plate, or the mounts for the track bar or sway bar. For the sway bar mount, I've read I can use the Banks 48899 Sway Bar bracket. But after that I have a few questions.

Since it did not come with springs, I plan on using superduty springs with the new RSK from Precision Metal Fab since I don't want to weld or cut my frame. Going to with the 2.5 lift since I want as little lift as possible. I want the truck to sit level after I'm all said and done. Which spring code for the front would I need? I think i will run superduty springs in the rear too, so what code would I need back there and would I need different size rear blocks?

The axle had the sway bar links cut off so I will need some new ones. I have read that stock front ones may be to short when using an rsk but the stock rear links are the right size. Is this correct? And what would be the right part number for them?

While reading over the thread for the new rsk, i saw this,
Full replacement drop trackbar bracket is included in all kits to match stock pitman arm.
Since my axle did not come with a track bar mount, would I still have to find an original track bar mount if I get the rsk?

Finally, while looking over this thread for part numbers, I noticed that the part number 410-1035 is listed but on the boxes that number is not there but the number 410-1033 is. Which would be the right number? I also noticed on rock auto that for the part numbers that was listed on that thread, there is a "service" and "Professional" grade. Is the Professional grade really worth the extra cost or would I be fine with the service grade?

Sorry for the book, just wanted to be as clear as I could, Thanks!

Tom S

Reaction score
Well after finding out I am going to need new brakes soon on my truck and with the d50 already needing a new axle shaft from a seized u-joint, I decided to start gathering parts for my dana 60 swap. I've been looking for a while now and finally found one that was close to me. Probably paid a little to much for it, but, I did not have to travel far to get it.

Did not come with the steering linkage, springs, the u-bolt plate, or the mounts for the track bar or sway bar. For the sway bar mount, I've read I can use the Banks 48899 Sway Bar bracket. But after that I have a few questions.

Since it did not come with springs, I plan on using superduty springs with the new RSK from Precision Metal Fab since I don't want to weld or cut my frame. Going to with the 2.5 lift since I want as little lift as possible. I want the truck to sit level after I'm all said and done. Which spring code for the front would I need? I think i will run superduty springs in the rear too, so what code would I need back there and would I need different size rear blocks?

The axle had the sway bar links cut off so I will need some new ones. I have read that stock front ones may be to short when using an rsk but the stock rear links are the right size. Is this correct? And what would be the right part number for them?

While reading over the thread for the new rsk, i saw this,

Since my axle did not come with a track bar mount, would I still have to find an original track bar mount if I get the rsk?

Finally, while looking over this thread for part numbers, I noticed that the part number 410-1035 is listed but on the boxes that number is not there but the number 410-1033 is. Which would be the right number? I also noticed on rock auto that for the part numbers that was listed on that thread, there is a "service" and "Professional" grade. Is the Professional grade really worth the extra cost or would I be fine with the service grade?

Sorry for the book, just wanted to be as clear as I could, Thanks!

I think that is a typo on my part. I would trust the number off the box. I would spend the money to get the better grade parts.

V code springs is probably what you want.

The track bar bracked you are referencing is the one that bolts to the frame. PMF should have photos up soon of what it looks like. The axle end should be welded there on the axle.

I do not have this done yet so I can answer your questions on the heights and lengths. I have been waiting on the last few parts to get done.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Just a FYI but we developed this mod the RS V and b code swap 13 years ago and I would never just bolt in the front mount..no cutting of the frame is ever required.

You should always match a drop track bar bracket with a equal drop pitman arm so you don't induce bump steer.

V codes are the min front spring that should ever be used as they will carry the weight of a 7.3 unlike the lesser capasity springs.

NEVER buy springs except from Ford or get used from a junk yard..after market copys are not the same.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Usually they will but condition of springs will play a roll..plus they are different height F350 blocks..

Great avaitar..nearly spit out my coffee!

Tom S

Reaction score
Cary, do you have any info on F250 and F350 pitman arms being a different length? Brad had just posted up something about that.

Second s your thoughts that you really like to see a weld on RSK to makes sure it does not want to start moving around? I know bolting is not like factory rivets that fill up the holes when he rivot is peened

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
I haven't looked at a RS kit install in 6 years as all I have been doing here at the shop is '05 up installs..their may be a difference but it would be minor.

I firmly belive in stich welding these parts..even Ford if you get new suspension brackets that come with their bolts will tell you you must stich weld the brackets on after bolting.

IMO if your not able to weld and don't want to have a pro weld it for you don't mod your truck.

Tom S

Reaction score
Well, I can weld so I am safe there. Some more info to share.

You had me doubting myself so i went out and checked. They all look the same to me. And my brothers 94 F250 I just put a D60 in last week had the same thing

97 F250
DSC01564.jpg

96 F350
DSC01563.jpg

95 F350
DSC01565.jpg

96 F350
DSC01566.jpg

The f250 has more offset, imagine putting a straightedge onto the upper surface where the sector shaft hole is and measuring between it and the surface where the tie-rod nut contacts. The F350 arm is "Flatter"

The F350 arm also has a greater length from centerline of sector shaft to centerline of tierod hole versus F250 pitman arm. Thus a little more turning radius with the F350 arm.

The "clocking" of the splines may also be different.

F350/F450 arm, Ford Part # E5TZ-3590-A
As for the F250 arm part number, don't know, they get recycled.

It's some details that are easy to overlook.
Aftermarket or lift arms are pretty much a onesizefitzall deal, so they won't make a differentiation between F250/F350.

And as for the temporary lift thing, focus on the F350 swap, you'll be happy you did.

EverettWV

Reaction score
Just a FYI but we developed this mod the RS V and b code swap 13 years ago and I would never just bolt in the front mount..no cutting of the frame is ever required.

You should always match a drop track bar bracket with a equal drop pitman arm so you don't induce bump steer.

V codes are the min front spring that should ever be used as they will carry the weight of a 7.3 unlike the lesser capasity springs.

NEVER buy springs except from Ford or get used from a junk yard..after market copys are not the same.

From what I read, with the original rsk, I would have to cut / grind off the bumper mount and cut a notch in the bumper. I really want to avoid that. Thanks for the advice about the springs! I'll be sure they are ford springs. Though I have a question about finding used springs. When I call a salvage yard and ask for V code spring, will they have any idea what I'm talking about?

Why don't you just use a f350 block with the lift? That would work right?

I was not sure if I put superduty springs in the rear if it would raise it up any to where it would be level or if I would still need the f350 block

Still confused about the trackbar mount. Will I still need to find a ford one with the new rsk? Or is that bracket for lowering the stock bracket?

Latest posts

Members online