Sounded like rod knock and then went away

Stroked777

Reaction score
Well did a little more digging and I can see the idler pulley on the alt. bracket is doing a lot of moving around. So atleast I found the culprit

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I should check mine out soon LOL. Its starting to chirp again its only been 40K since the dealer changed the belt , tensioner and the idler pulley I wonder why its going out in short period of time? Its making the same noise it did when it went out last time.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I had my pulley for the main drive replaced maybe about 50k ago and booth belts were done 40k ago along with the ac tensioner. But I now see it's the idler pulley that's right hinder the second altenator location that's bad

Stroked777

Reaction score
So little update. Changed the pulley and the squeak is still there. I ruled out the entire main accessory drive by taking the belt off the balancer and the squeak was still there, that leaves just the AC drive, it's not the AC pump because the squeak is there pump engaged or not, leaving just the tensioner and the harmonic balancer. I sprayed so lube on the tensioner pully and that did nothing and it's not the arm it's self because it doesn't move at all. So now I'm leaving toward something behind the balancer. Is this possible that something behind it that making the sound? The sound starts when the engine is warmed up to operating temp? Could the oil deal leak I have do something with it? I never min the leak because is was never bad enough to leave a puddle on the ground or to make oil dissapear on the stick. What are your though one something behind the balancer causing the sound

May I add the belts are brand new at 75k and I'm at 113k now

webb06

Reaction score
So little update. Changed the pulley and the squeak is still there. I ruled out the entire main accessory drive by taking the belt off the balancer and the squeak was still there, that leaves just the AC drive, it's not the AC pump because the squeak is there pump engaged or not, leaving just the tensioner and the harmonic balancer. I sprayed so lube on the tensioner pully and that did nothing and it's not the arm it's self because it doesn't move at all. So now I'm leaving toward something behind the balancer. Is this possible that something behind it that making the sound? The sound starts when the engine is warmed up to operating temp? Could the oil deal leak I have do something with it? I never min the leak because is was never bad enough to leave a puddle on the ground or to make oil dissapear on the stick. What are your though one something behind the balancer causing the sound

May I add the belts are brand new at 75k and I'm at 113k now

Pull the AC belt off to completely rule out the compressor.

mandkole

Reaction score
spray a little water on the ribs of the belt. I dont recommend it, but Ive shot a mist of wd40 on the ribs of the belt also. if the noise changes at all, its the belt.

Stroked777

Reaction score
What about a belt conditioner spray? but wouldn't a belt squeak all the time? And not just when the engine gets all the way warmed up?

mandkole

Reaction score
A brief shot of WD on the belt ribs wont hurt anything. It takes less and dries quickly so thats why I like it better than water for quick troubleshooting. No to belt dressing-- It was bad when it first came out for v-belts 40 years ago and it will quickly ruin a micro-v style belt.

Once the belt starts to chirp, it will do it forever. There is likely some misalignment in the components or slight mismatch in the pulley groove profiles that prematurely wears the belt. Its usually tolerance stack on the block casting bosses, the brackets, etc. Once the belt wears enough, it chirps.

When looking for misalignment, focus on the pulley spans that are very close to one another. Those are most sensitive.

Belt chirps are a very common troubleshooting complaint and a frequent source of belt specification discussion at OEMs.

Sideswipe505

Reaction score
Yeah it can't hurt to test the belt out... I remember on a Corvette I had, it NEEDED gator belts, everything else would squeak. Drove me insane.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Maybe I'll just throw a ac belt on it then. I replaced the idler pulley anyways because the old one was worn. Just weird that a belt would go bad with in 40k

mandkole

Reaction score
the belt would run for another 100k but it will be noisy. I tell ya we start new programs all the time and run the belt construction of the month looking for ways to cover up noise caused by a variety of things.

Latest posts

Members online