Stage 2s no chip

Jkk73

Reaction score
I've seen people post with the question stage 1s and no chip, but what differences/would there be any with stage 2s and no chip?

old man dave

Reaction score
Well, in my OBS truck,actually pulling the chip got me 245hp. Just slightly better than a Federal stocker with chip, intake and exhaust (about 225rwhp).

Putting the chip back in, 408hp.

Not much difference, I guess.:D

Last edited:

Jkk73

Reaction score
Notice much difference when you put them in, or really not worth it without a chip

Jkk73

Reaction score
Well, in my OBS truck,actually pulling the chip got me 245hp. Just slightly better than a Federal stocker with chip, intake and exhaust (about 225rwhp).

Putting the chip back in, 408hp.

Not much difference, I guess.:D

I know the chip makes a big difference but I'm not a huge fan of putting a chip back in my truck, I've seen people putting stage 1s in with no chip saying it made a noticeable difference but not very much, I'm just wondering if stage 2s will make a little more difference than the 1s made with no chip

Swaan

Reaction score
It's the nozzle size that makes the diffrence with no chip. Not the cc
Regular 160/stock nozzle injectors are not gonna make a bit of diffrence on stock programing. Now put 80%or 100% nozzles on that same injector it would be a considerable diffrence. Even on stock programing.
You actually have to tell the injector to stoke farther to utilize the extra stroke. Stock programing won't do that.

cbf9703

Reaction score
I know the chip makes a big difference but I'm not a huge fan of putting a chip back in my truck, I've seen people putting stage 1s in with no chip saying it made a noticeable difference but not very much, I'm just wondering if stage 2s will make a little more difference than the 1s made with no chip

Out of curiosity, why the lack of love for a chip?

Swaan

Reaction score
Buying bigger injectors then not getting the corect programing to run them is pointless.
can it be done, sure! But waste of $$$. You obviously have no idea how the fuel system works on a 7.3.

Swaan

Reaction score
But to answer your original question. Putting stage2 injectors in with no chip would be aproxx 70-80 hp gain. This is on a 80% nozzle.

Reaction score
But to answer your original question. Putting stage2 injectors in with no chip would be aproxx 70-80 hp gain. This is on a 80% nozzle.
Yes, my 175/100s with no chip are considerably more powerful than stock injectors with no chip...

But I absolutely don't understand why spend that much money not to have them tuned/dialed in, way more beneficial with tunes, and any of the custom tuners people on this site use are very reputable, and know what they're doing

old man dave

Reaction score
Mine were 160/80s and the tunes were from 2003. Done on a DynoJet so I was't guessing what the no chip hp output was. You have to remember a stock truck only does 175hp. And back when I dynoed it, a stock OBS truck with exhaust, chip and intake would do 225hp

Last edited:

Jkk73

Reaction score
The original owner had a chip on the truck, the truck would shut off while we'd be driving it down the road, no power whatsoever. Happened multiple times and it turned out the chip was overriding the computers in the truck, once we got it off the road and stopped turned the key off and started it back up. All the computers had to be replaced it was about 11 years ago, I know many vendors on here and elsewhere know what they're doing, just would like to try to get the most power out of the truck possible without a chip, I know having a non stock truck without a chip seems pointless to most of you but I'm just not much of a fan, I know many people that screwed up their trucks once they stuck a tuner in it, sure they may have installed it the wrong way but still, I'd rather not have the truck go down that road again

psduser1

Reaction score
The original owner had a chip on the truck, the truck would shut off while we'd be driving it down the road, no power whatsoever. Happened multiple times and it turned out the chip was overriding the computers in the truck, once we got it off the road and stopped turned the key off and started it back up. All the computers had to be replaced it was about 11 years ago, I know many vendors on here and elsewhere know what they're doing, just would like to try to get the most power out of the truck possible without a chip, I know having a non stock truck without a chip seems pointless to most of you but I'm just not much of a fan, I know many people that screwed up their trucks once they stuck a tuner in it, sure they may have installed it the wrong way but still, I'd rather not have the truck go down that road again
Why don't you have the pcm reflashed?

bruce

Reaction score
If you're worried about it then you should just stick with AA's and go about your business.

Jkk73

Reaction score
Why don't you have the pcm reflashed?

I probobaly eventually will end up getting a ts, but I was just curious on this topic because I've seen threads about people asking what the difference will be stage 1s no chip, so I was just wondering on stock tuning if 2s would make a difference over 1s or if they would just flow as much as 1s would since it's still on stock tuning

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im a huge fan of the idea of a pcm flashed to a good, useful tune.

I never take mine out of the race tunes anyway. I have it changed down low and leave the fuel up high alone.

old man dave

Reaction score
Im a huge fan of the idea of a pcm flashed to a good, useful tune.

I never take mine out of the race tunes anyway. I have it changed down low and leave the fuel up high alone.

In the OP's case, sounds like stageIs with a good tow tune PCM reflash is the ideal solution. That would give him about 375hp without worrying about any chip connection problems or a tune that wouldn't work with a load and has the side benefit of being cheaper than a chip. PCM reflash is around $175.

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
My guess is the terminals were never cleaned properly and it wasn't making a good connection. I definitely wouldn't waste the money on buying/ swapping injectors to get the same horsepower gains as with a chip install that is done correctly.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.