Starting issues

Timmy

Reaction score
Within the last 3 months I have replaced both batteries, starter and both battery cables bought from ford. No matter if the engine is hot or cold, when I turn the key to the start position the starter will click like it's bad but if I continue to hold the key in the start position, after 3-5 seconds the engine will crank and fire immediately. It's like the starter isn't getting a good enough connection to turn the engine over, it was doing the same thing with my old starter, which is why I replaced it. Any ideas on what it could be? I've got a battery drain somewhere as my vacuum pump and blower and radio will run with the truck off and key out of the ignition. Tired of throwing parts at it and it not fixing the problem. Thanks for the help

Timmy

Reaction score
All grounds are good and clean. Is the starter relay by the fuse box under the hood? There is a clicking noise that comes near the fuse box when he truck is off

Magnum PD

Reaction score
The relay on the OBS is on the right side behind battery. Clicking might be the small relays at fuse box.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
When you replaced the starter was the mounting area on the block cleaned really well? Sounds like a resistance problem and that would led to bad/improper ground if you have swapped everything else.

Latest posts

Members online