Strange chip issues - Gearhead

a5t1

Reaction score
I have a TS style chip, just had it re-burned. After installing it last night (keys out, batteries disconnected, ) the CEL light came on and no WTS. Obviously truck wouldn't start. Removed the keys and and disconnected batteries, removed chip and same thing, CEL and no WTS. AE couldn't communicate with it. I thought the PCM was fried. Checked the harness, no bend pins. WTF?

I emailed gearhead and asked Matt his opinion. I couldn't believe I got a response at 11pm EST. Pretty amazing support if you ask me.:rockon:

He was also stumped as to what was going on, thought PCM was fried.

I went back out to the truck, installed the chip and turned the key on, still CEL and no WTS. Out of frustration I began to pull the chip with the key on, when I grabbed it the CEL went out and the WTS flashed. ?

I started the truck and it ran great. I disconnected everything and tried it with no chip, truck ran. So I wiped everything down again, reinstalled the chip and it's been fine.

No idea what happened. I've done a few installs, nothing was out of the ordinary.

Kudos to Gearhead for the response.

I taped the chip in place and called it good. Truck ran great on the way to work this morning...

a5t1

Reaction score
Yeah, really weird issue for sure.

On the upside, truck is running well with the tunes. Great to have programming for a zf5. Need to start looking at a turbo because the stocker isn't keeping up with the stage 2s...

a5t1

Reaction score
I have a valair ceramic / kevlar clutch, she's holding up. I'm being nice until I get the e-fuel installed and then a hpop...then I'll need tires.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Thats really wierd. All the symtoms you said pointed toward a fried PCM. The fact that it just all of a sudden went back to normal is wierd. But ide just watch it and not worry about it.

How are Gearheads tunes on a 5 speed? I run Tyrant now. And am very pleased with my eco and tow tune. Just not so much on the hot tune. Granted I have stock injectors so the hot and extreme tunes wont do a whole lot. But I know there is more potential, ive worked on and riden in stock tuned 7.3's with mouch more ass then mine in mild street tunes.

96F350KID

Reaction score
I've had a no WTS light come on some times it ends up being a few pins don't get cleaned well enough. What i do now is take the scotch brite pad down to where there is just some coating left then take ELECTRICAL CONTACT cleaner not brake clean and wipe it down with that. Resolves the rest!

a5t1

Reaction score
I also used electrical contact cleaner..really strange. Glad the PCM wasn't fried.

I like gearhead tunes, I have ran some other and prefer Matt's tunes. I'm running a little more smokey than I'd like but I also have a worn, stock turbo with fresh 160/80s. It cleans up after she lights but I can block out a lane of traffic in the hottest tune when I get on it...

My heavy tow tune seems to be the smoothest and what I run the most. I tried the all out tune for a just a bit...wondered what the big black cloud was in my rear view mirror..

Arisley

Reaction score
Go to your nearest favorite parts house and buy a PCM relay. Actually, buy two, you should have one in the glove box for a spare. It's the same relay as the IDM relay, the blower fan relay and about 73 other relays in these trucks.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Go to your nearest favorite parts house and buy a PCM relay. Actually, buy two, you should have one in the glove box for a spare. It's the same relay as the IDM relay, the blower fan relay and about 73 other relays in these trucks.

Sound advice.

Latest posts

Members online