Strictly Diesel post pump filter leak

dadada

Reaction score
My post pump Baldwin filter constantly wants to leak around the filter head. Changed the filter and still keeps wanting to leak. I've tightened down the filter as much as I can. Am I doing something wrong here? Anyone else have this issue? Any tricks to fix my issue?

Zmann

Reaction score
Agreed
I have heard of this also '

threaded nipple/ bore is not square with base

I seem to recall them talking about supplier issues with this part and for this reason.

I have a coolant filter base of an unknown make that is the same I have to use a filter wrench to seat it an extra 1/4 turn

Zmann

Reaction score
https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-2762-fuel-filter-base.aspx

MADE IN THE USA : We take this very seriously and make every attempt possible to source and use as much US made product/material as we possibly can...as long as doing so doesn't sacrifice the quality of the final product. Unfortunately, we have had to discontinue the use of the US made filter heads because we were returning 60%+ of them to our supplier for manufacturing defects. When our name is on the final product, we simply can't afford to ignore such a huge problem!

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Best bet is to call us during office hours so we can discuss the leak, its location and possible fixes. We have not had problems with leaking filter heads since moving away from the shiny Wix units a few years back.

mandkole

Reaction score
My response was not complete. I will clarify that my issue was not with a Strictly base and theirs actually fixed my issue.

m_j

Reaction score
why do people always try and fix a leaking oring by overtightening.
filter should be hand tight.
if it leaks overtightening wont fix it, it will probably do more damage
those look like pretty cheap bases, the baldwin fb1311 base is a bit pricier and eliminated the pipe thread

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Our current bases are anything but cheap. They cost us over 2x what the Wix bases did, and the finish quality is definitely better. That said, they can still have a mfr defect like anything else. They can also be cracked if the pupe thread fittings are over tightened.

As for the FB1311 bases, i used to use those and really liked them. I switched because i needed the flexibility of multiple in/out ports. Yes, the pipe thread requires sealant and can leak if not done correctly, and the port can crack if over tightened, but those are install issues, not design issues. You can easily have issues with o-ring ports, damaged o-rings, etc.

dadada

Reaction score
This is my third filter and they all have leaked. I had recent surgery so really haven't pushed the issue til now. Two Baldwin and one Wix and they all leak. They leak around the oring/ head of the filter. Looks like I need a new base.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Cut me some slack, replying on my phone.

This is my third filter and they all have leaked. I had recent surgery so really haven't pushed the issue til now. Two Baldwin and one Wix and they all leak. They leak around the oring/ head of the filter. Looks like I need a new base.

If you have have tried multiple filters, the problem is probably with the base. You may need to remove it from the truck so you can inspect to see why its leaking. The ones we had problems with were easy to spot. Spin a filter on until the oring starts to contact the sealing surface, then rotate the head to see if the oring was touching equally all the way around. The wix bases we quit using were horrible, oring touching on one side, enough gap to slip a piece of corrugated cardboard between the filter and base on the other. Some were better, some worse...80%+ had a gap that was just unacceptable.

This is not a problem we have seen with the current bases. I would sooner expect to find damage to the gasket sealing surface, something changing the filter wouldnt fix.

When you can get a good look at it, give us a call.

dadada

Reaction score
Cut me some slack, replying on my phone.

If you have have tried multiple filters, the problem is probably with the base. You may need to remove it from the truck so you can inspect to see why its leaking. The ones we had problems with were easy to spot. Spin a filter on until the oring starts to contact the sealing surface, then rotate the head to see if the oring was touching equally all the way around. The wix bases we quit using were horrible, oring touching on one side, enough gap to slip a piece of corrugated cardboard between the filter and base on the other. Some were better, some worse...80%+ had a gap that was just unacceptable.

This is not a problem we have seen with the current bases. I would sooner expect to find damage to the gasket sealing surface, something changing the filter wouldnt fix.

When you can get a good look at it, give us a call.
Will do, thank you!

Zmann

Reaction score
Agreed. were lucky to have companies like Strictly and BPD
as AZ Locals and companies that monitor the boards on weekends

I can't even get replies from some companies during the week LOL

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
I try to catch things, but to be honest, weekends generally belong to my wife so it doesn't always happen. It helps when friends let me know that something needs to be addressed.

Latest posts

Members online