stuck glow plug

rickdavis81

Reaction score
So, while installing my new baby swamps today I figured I'd change my glow plugs. Have one stuck in the head. It's been soaking in pb blaster all day, I've pulled and pryed. I'm going to try again in the morning. Any tips before I pull a head off?

Bugman

Reaction score
Pull and soak even more.

You can make up a slide hammer using a pair of needle nose vice grips and a long bolt. Take the adjusting bolt out of the handle and place the bolt into it. You will also need to build up something to slide along the bolt to use as the slide hammer.

Once you build the tool you can lock the vice grips onto what is left of the glow plug and work it both ways. You can even push it down into the cylinder and then use the slide hammer to pull it out.

Also if you can find some Quicksliver Power Tune and spray it onto the plug. It is designed to remove carbon in marine engines.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Bugman

Reaction score
The problem is that they don't grab the glow plug where it need to be grabbed when you break them.

If the plug needed to be pulled straight out then the extra threads would help but usually the body of the glow plug break off when you first start wrenching on it. Some people have tried them with mixed results.

Last edited:

gnxtc2

Reaction score
If you can find some GM Top Engine Cleaner, part# 10050002 works great on carbon. The stuff is useless.

Also, if you're a gun fanatic, try some bore cleaner

Also heard that Quick Silver carbon remover from Mercury Marine is good stuff also.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Latest posts

Members online