Stud install question

Sodbuster Jr.

Reaction score
Hey guys i've been MIA for a bit with the whole harvest thing, but got some questions for a guy I work with. Im not much of a 6.0 guru. He has an 07 F350 with 47,000 miles. There is nothing mechanically wrong with the truck, but he kind of wants to do a preventative maintence deal. Can we install studs without removing the heads (using factory gaskets)? The truck has literally done zero work besides hauling itself down the road.

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
you can. it has been successful. but it's def advised to just go ahead and pull the heads and check for warping/cracks. but if you really want too. go for it. worst case you'll have to do it all again and get new heads possibly. LOL

Eric@HolderdownPerformance

gjoski515

Reaction score
if i were you i would pull the cab, get a oil cooler, oem head gaskets, egr delete, and a coolant filter, plus get the heads checked for cracks and have them machined flat,and all the other top end gaskets and o-ring needed

TonyG

Reaction score
I'd never attempt to do studs in cab, and as far as leaving the heads on.... Noway! They need to be checked for flatness and cracks..... I'd say 65% of the 6.0s I've done have had one or both cracked..... If your not pulling them and having them checked the only thing your doing is giving yourself a little hands on in the 6.0 world before you do it the 2nd time..... If you dont want to do it the "right" way and it's not pushing coolant .... Check eot and ect for variation if it's good then do a egr delete and coolant filter.... Get away from green coolant also run a cat coolant or zerex equal.... It won't take you long to get the cab up if that's your concern.... Or if you don't have a lift I've seen people use all kind of things to get a cab off haha some better then others....

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yeah guys, he's not asking whether or not to do it cab on, he's saying leaving the heads on, as in the one for one method. I would highly recommend against that for the reasons TonyG just said.

TonyG

Reaction score
Yeah guys, he's not asking whether or not to do it cab on, he's saying leaving the heads on, as in the one for one method. I would highly recommend against that for the reasons TonyG just said.

The one for one method works great on a 7.3 due to the gasket style but a 6.0 uses a multi layer steel gasket (crush style... Only good for one time torque kinda like a torque yielding bolt), if you see the 2 gaskets side by side it would make sense, ither way people start spreading miscontruded information due to there "all" powerstrokes right? Haha.... In my eyes there's only one way to do them and that's oem gaskets,arp studs and have a reliable machine shop flatten and check the heads, all the work will be for nothing if there not flat :(

If you have any questions about anything PM me I'd be happy to assist with info

Mdub707

Reaction score
I still wouldn't do it with any motor, regardless of gasket style, I just don't see the point in doing a job like that without inspecting the heads and having them decked. I guess it's easier to "get away with" on a 7.3, but still...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.