Studding question from a noob!

188slo50

Reaction score
In the market for a diesel again and have been reading a lot on here to know what I'm looking for. I'm going to go with a 6.0 as they fit my budget and I'm more fond of the body style they come in. My question is I know studding them is a much needed thing for the longevity of these trucks but is it better to have 180k truck that's just been studded or a low mileage 100k truck that's not been done? I'm not looking for a tuned to hell power monster but something that's a driver,can tow a trailer when needed and will last as long as I do the maintenance. Any help or input would be great.

patricku47

Reaction score
I always try to buy a truck as unmolested as possible. There are a lot of shops out there that almost do more harm than good when they stud these trucks. Unless you can find one that has been studded by a well known, reputable shop, I would buy stock.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yup. I'd rather have stock and puking than studded by a flat bill book face shop.

188slo50

Reaction score
The places I'm looking at sell a lot of diesels and I've never heard nothing bad about them and have few people who only will buy used trucks from them. As for the shop who did it there's not a lot to choose around here for a diesel performance minded shop so it's pretty much pick your favorite mechanic and have it done. Is there any no no's to look for in a studded trucks or any thing to stay away from? What's considered high mileage,im trying to stay under 130k but most studded trucks are 150 and up.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Ill agree with all the guys here...

UNLESS you know the shop and quality of work, its almost better to buy a stock one for even cheaper, add your own coolant filter, new coolant. keep up on all the mant, dont beat the **** out of it. and save up for a stud job.

when i did mine, i did most everything all at once myself and was 5k in parts. labor done myself though. that was turbo, up pipes, regulated return, lifters, pushrods, water pump, belt, glow plugs and harnesses, ipr valve, rear main, suds, checked/o ringed heads... while i wasnt too excited about doing it all myself as i wrench all day for a living, i have confidence that i did all i can do within reason and it should last a good long time. . easier to have a piece of mind imo when you know exactly what ya got ya know.

188slo50

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 06 harley Davidson 158k studded,FMS gaskets,erg ****** ,FMS oil cooler with a yr warranty on the studding. Truck is tight,clean and needs nothing but best they will do is $25500 which is about what the stock ones go for that I've been looking at. What's you opinions, I know it's not a screaming deal but seems about right from what I've been doing looking at in comparison?

BS Hauler

Reaction score
You have to remember that the cheaper priced trucks are from the rust belt and the bodies are falling apart by that many miles and years. If the body is in great shape its not that bad of a price. It is easy to fix mechanical issues. Fixing rust on bodies gets very expensive and time consuming and you never really stop it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.