Stumped on 2006 electrical issue

earv_g0tti

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an issue i'm hoping someone can help me with.. installing my dome lights, screwdriver grounded somehow and shorted it out and blew a fuse.. no problem, same thing happened last time i put em back in.. so i replaced the fuse, dome lights work but not map lights, visor lights, power windows or radio. So i'm like oh, that problem again, that must be the 601 circuit breaker again because i had that issue a long time ago installing a radio. well i pulled it and tried to find it local and couldnt so i decided to dig a little deeper before i ordered one... i hand pulled every fuse in the fuse box and don't have one blown so i eliminated that. i grabbed my test light and multimeter and found this:

with key on or off, i'm not getting power to the 601 circuit breaker.

so that led me to again double check the accessory fuses in question (accessory delay, fog lights, power windows, radio) all of which are still good. fuse 41 for the instrument cluster is also still good and my instrument cluster does work 100%.

so then i check the accessory delay relay. i'm getting power at pin 30 (+12v) as i should, but when i turn the key, pin 85 should get power and thats what transfers it to pin 87 but i have no power...

that struck me as odd, and likely my problem. with the key on and no power at pin 85 i checked fuses 42 and 43 no power, but fuse 41 still good....

so i made a jumper from pin 30 to 87 and BING everything works... the problem with that is 1) it's not correct 2) everything would be on nonstop because it's from a constant 12v source

so i checked all my relays, all my fuses, even disconnected the batteries multiple times just in case to no avail... i've searched and searched this topic and google has some close scenarios but nothing like it.. i even learned that there is another accessory delay relay in the gauge cluster but if that were my case I would think not only would my cluster not work but fuse 41 probably would be blown... but just for safe measures I have an extra cluster here that came with the new interior so i pulled mine and plugged it in... still nothing

i'm stumped :cursing:. anybody know what could be causing that 1 pin to not get power when i turn the key?

Last edited:

Gary

Reaction score
Did you try and put power to circuit breaker 601 and see if that makes everything work? or power up those dead fuses?
I've never seen any of those circuit breakers fail, they always reset when they cool.
I'm looking at Mitchell for the wiring diagrams, for the accessory delay relay it only shows pin 85, it doesn't show any of the other pins, kinda weird.
So I go to Alldata, which their diagrams look like it's right out of the Ford book and it shows the same thing, so IDK, I'll look at this some more and see if it makes sense.
Is this a crew cab? it makes a difference for some of these diagrams.

Pin 85 and 86 are usually the wires the close the relay for the B+ to flows through pin 30-87 for normally open, then 30-87a is normally closed (no power on 85-86) and that circuit open when 30-87 are closed. If your confused look up bosch relay wiring, those relays are very common. They can be 4 or 5 pins.

earv_g0tti

Reaction score
Did you try and put power to circuit breaker 601 and see if that makes everything work? or power up those dead fuses?
I've never seen any of those circuit breakers fail, they always reset when they cool.
I'm looking at Mitchell for the wiring diagrams, for the accessory delay relay it only shows pin 85, it doesn't show any of the other pins, kinda weird.
So I go to Alldata, which their diagrams look like it's right out of the Ford book and it shows the same thing, so IDK, I'll look at this some more and see if it makes sense.
Is this a crew cab? it makes a difference for some of these diagrams.

Pin 85 and 86 are usually the wires the close the relay for the B+ to flows through pin 30-87 for normally open, then 30-87a is normally closed (no power on 85-86) and that circuit open when 30-87 are closed. If your confused look up bosch relay wiring, those relays are very common. They can be 4 or 5 pins.

Well yeah, by making the jumper from the 30 pin to the 97 pin that put power to the relay and thus the breaker and subsequent fuses. Everything works but that's on constant 12v. And yeah I figured the breaker would reset that's what made me start digging in the first place.

And yes you're correct about pins 85/86 opening/closing (so to speak) the relay switch.

I tried 100 different things, even took the CJB itself apart.. I ended up fixing it though... But it shouldn't have required what I did but it's fixed

Gary

Reaction score
That 601 breaker looks like it powers the windows.
Fuse 42 gets its power from the acc delay relay when it is energized.

earv_g0tti

Reaction score
That 601 breaker looks like it powers the windows.
Fuse 42 gets its power from the acc delay relay when it is energized.

yep, the +12v pin of the relay was getting power as it should, however the switch pin of the relay wasn't working once i turned the key... so 42 was never getting power because the relay was never sending power to 87

german154

Reaction score
Did you ever get this resolved? i did the same thing today popped a fuse changing dome lights now i have no power windows and no radio. Power slider does not work everything worked before i started. I checked breaker 601 and it tested good across it. I'm baffled, and my windows are stuck down and it's cold out...

earv_g0tti

Reaction score
Did you ever get this resolved? i did the same thing today popped a fuse changing dome lights now i have no power windows and no radio. Power slider does not work everything worked before i started. I checked breaker 601 and it tested good across it. I'm baffled, and my windows are stuck down and it's cold out...

yes I did.

first you should check the circuit breaker, relay, and fuses. i'd start with fuses, i can't remember off hand which fuses. are you working on it now?

german154

Reaction score
I was earlier I checked all fuses under the dash and circuit breaker all tested good with a meter im stumped was reading things about the gauge cluster being involved and everything there is good

earv_g0tti

Reaction score
I was earlier I checked all fuses under the dash and circuit breaker all tested good with a meter im stumped was reading things about the gauge cluster being involved and everything there is good
yeah, i hand checked EVERY fuse in the fuse box first.

then i tried swapping the accessory delay relay with one around it. did you do that?
that'll tell you if your problem is just a simple relay

german154

Reaction score
The accsesory relay thats in the fuse box under the dash for delayed acc and power windows? Pulled it and checked continuity across it with a meter and it tested good

earv_g0tti

Reaction score
The accsesory relay thats in the fuse box under the dash for delayed acc and power windows? Pulled it and checked continuity across it with a meter and it tested good

did you plug one of the others in the box into the delayed relay position though?
Mine tested good too

german154

Reaction score
No I didnt try other ones in it I will have to try that first thing in the morning is that was urs ended up being is the relay? I cant see how a dome light would or should effect radio and windows...thanks ford

earv_g0tti

Reaction score
No I didnt try other ones in it I will have to try that first thing in the morning is that was urs ended up being is the relay? I cant see how a dome light would or should effect radio and windows...thanks ford

no mine wasn't a relay. i'm off tomorrow, i can PM you my number if ya want, i can try to help you through my troubleshooting and solution

and yeah, let's put radio, windows, gauge cluster, and courtesy lights all together....BRILLIANT!

Last edited:

mdhopkins

Reaction score
Did you guys ever find the solution to this problem. I just replaced the entire fuse box and still have don't have anything working now. the dome lights work but the map lights, radio and windows do not work.

german154

Reaction score
Mine ended up being a fuse that checked good on continuity but was very high resistance and would trip once load was put on it...something I missed the first time around

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Ok guys lol I've read through this a couple times and guessing could be a number of things.... I am having same issue....no maps, radio or windows. I've checked all the fuses under the dash and under the hood with my fuse tester (haven't actually put a meter but I can) everything seemed good. I even replaced most of the fuses for the hell of it and still nothing. I swapped the delayed accessory relay and the relay for the up fitters and didn't work. I'm at a lose! Any help would be greatly appreciated

Latest posts

Members online