Sudden Hiss Through Speakers

sniper_101

Reaction score
Pioneer Avic headunit to a cheap 4ch amp that was in the truck when I bought it. Speakers are JL 6.5" component's in the front doors, JL 6x8's in the rear doors.

Listening to tunes all day while driving, then stopped off somewhere for a bit. Now, as soon as the amp's power up, there is a hiss through my front speakers, especially through the front right. It's audible from the front left one as well, but not as loud. It's not related to volume level, as the hiss is instant from when the key is turned on/amp on signal is live. I unhooked the speaker input from the deck to the amp, no difference, pull the fuse for the amp power, and the hiss is gone.

Is this cheap old amp toast? I was running the system pretty hard yesterday with Rise Against so it wouldn't surprise me if it was over worked, just unsure if this is a sign of a bad amp...

Thanks guys

pullandpray

Reaction score
Does it get louder with engine rpm? If it does more than like a ground issue if not id suspect the amp. Double check all grounds, I know my old 6.4 I actually had to take the grounds to the frame to get rid of the hissing

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
If not a ground issue check your cables. I had a similar issue and it ended up being a bad center pin that I found when I unplugged that cable

ghohouston

Reaction score
If it's only when the truck is on, and increases with rpm's, take a foot or so of speaker wire, strip the insulation off of it, and make figure 8's around the rca Jacks, and ground the wire to one of the screws in the head unit.

sniper_101

Reaction score
It did it with the engine off, or on.

Picked up a new Alpine 4/3/2 and got everything swapped out and changed out. Sounds great and the hiss is gone. Assuming I cooked it the other night, it looks pretty dated.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Latest posts

Members online