Tailgate fitment question**

mac2720

Reaction score
First of all, I'm not sure if I am posting this in the correct forum or not but I'm looking for a quick answer. I have an 03 f350 crew cab diesel an I'm looking to change the tailgate. A local salvage yard just got in an 05 f150 2wd truck that has the newer tailgate with the FORD emblem in the middle. I was wondering if that would work on my 03 and what I would need to do to make it work. If it will work I would like to go get it tomorrow so quick responses would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

TexasA&M

Reaction score
An '05 F150 tailgate will not work, but '07-'04 will. That doesn't matter to the OP though because they are literally the same as the tailgates on your '03 SuperDuty.

If you want the emblem in the middle, you have to use an '08 and up SuperDuty tailgate.

mac2720

Reaction score
Alright guys, I finally found a newer tailgate. Picking up a 2012 superduty tailgate for my 03. I just need to know where to get the driver side hinge to make it work? Does autozone or something sell them or do I have to order one from ford? Also how much do they usually cost and will I need anything else to make the 2012 tailgate work on my 03? Thanks!

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Alright guys, I finally found a newer tailgate. Picking up a 2012 superduty tailgate for my 03. I just need to know where to get the driver side hinge to make it work? Does autozone or something sell them or do I have to order one from ford? Also how much do they usually cost and will I need anything else to make the 2012 tailgate work on my 03? Thanks!

U can get them from Ford for about $20

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

mac2720

Reaction score
Well I went to ford and after talking to a couple dealerships they were saying that the only thing that they could find was upwards of 70 bucks. So I went up to one dealership and looked and some different drawings that they had which were no help. Finally one guy came out and looked at the truck to see that hinge that I need on the truck and he says that he knows what I need now. It costs me $12 and I shall see if it is the right thing tomorrow. The receipt that I have calls it the 'tailgate roller' I believe. Lets hope its the right part because no local junkyards or auto parts stores had one.

mac2720

Reaction score
Been told the Ford Part # needed is 4L3Z*83430B39*AA

If i am wrong someone will correct me.

That is the part # that is on the receipt that I have labeled 'Roller'. Looks like that is the correct part for the job. Thanks so much for the input! Ive been searching all evening for a junk truck to get one off of in case that wasnt the right part since I have to get it on before Friday. But now my mind is at ease knowing that is the right part :clapping:

Latest posts

Members online