The 6.4 persuasion thread.

PyroFighter

Reaction score
Well peeps, the 6.7 is gone. And Damn do I regret that decision. Been driving a gas burner (don't hate) for a while now and I'm missing the power of a diesel dearly. I've started on the hunt for a good used diesel. Been looking at some 6.0's and 5.9's (once again don't hate lol) But I'm starting to run across some deals on 6.4's I know they make insane power from just tunes and deletes. But I'm looking more for a reliability standpoint. How are they holding up longevity wise after being tuned and deleted? Let's hear some miles and mods and opinions! The only person with a. 6.4 I know is my Father. He has an 08 with 60k miles that's been running hot Spartan tunes from week 1. Only problem he has ever had was hpfp that was replaced under warranty. Anyways looking for some more feedback from you guys. Thanks!

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Well peeps, the 6.7 is gone. And Damn do I regret that decision. Been driving a gas burner (don't hate) for a while now and I'm missing the power of a diesel dearly. I've started on the hunt for a good used diesel. Been looking at some 6.0's and 5.9's (once again don't hate lol) But I'm starting to run across some deals on 6.4's I know they make insane power from just tunes and deletes. But I'm looking more for a reliability standpoint. How are they holding up longevity wise after being tuned and deleted? Let's hear some miles and mods and opinions! The only person with a. 6.4 I know is my Father. He has an 08 with 60k miles that's been running hot Spartan tunes from week 1. Only problem he has ever had was hpfp that was replaced under warranty. Anyways looking for some more feedback from you guys. Thanks!

One problem with 6.4s that keep people away from them are cracking pistons... I got a 6.4 that has its original engine (268,000 miles) and the only problems it has had was the radiator the front cover and the VGT was gone.. so I put a single non vgt on the truck.

Once you get the the normal "problems" (pistons headstuds and rocker arms lifters etc) squared away all that's left have fun with it and maintain it.

If you are looking into buying a 6.4 please pay attention to maintenance records and oasis reports and look to see if the truck has/had any major problems and if it was fixed correctly.

Also try to look for job 2+ trucks as the have less problems.

Last edited:

PyroFighter

Reaction score
Are the cracked pistons more from bad design/casting or from abuse and lack of maintenance?

DWhite

Reaction score
I have seen a ton of people say it is bad design, other will chime in that know more.
My buddies truck has 100k on it and been tuned and deleted since 50k and he cracked #8 piston the other day.
My truck has 169k on it and has been tuned and deleted since 140k. I drive mine a lot harder than my buddy and haven't had any problems so far other than wore rockers that we replaced, knock on wood.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I'd buy one and run it, and not worry about it unless it happens. Tons more people running around without any issues than the ones who are. Good maintenance. Change fluids and filters regularly is key. I change my oil and filters 3000k regardless of what the book says.

PyroFighter

Reaction score
I'd buy one and run it, and not worry about it unless it happens. Tons more people running around without any issues than the ones who are. Good maintenance. Change fluids and filters regularly is key. I change my oil and filters 3000k regardless of what the book says.

I'm definitely not ruling it out. Its hard to not consider a truck that can push 600 ponies with tuning and deletes alone.. Lol

ckrueg

Reaction score
Got 308k on mine, running the h&s street tune, bought at 275k and had 0 problems so far. I'd go for one.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I have 92k on mine. Job 3 was tuned at 64k and has had 76/59 billet chargers on it running stock fuel since 75k. I occasionally truck pull with it and it also hauls a gooseneck from time to time(sometimes with truck and trailer weighing 30k+) Its been a good truck.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Dude, I've got your truck!!!!

Honestly, every local truck I've seen with a cracked piston was from romping on it when the engine was cold. It can happen in other ways, but that's what I've seen.

I've had awesome luck with my 6.4's. My F350 was the best truck I've ever owned, and I've owned close to 30 trucks. I kept it longer than I've ever kept a truck (4yrs). It weighed 10,000lbs (utility body, etc.). I got it at 100k and put close to 100k on it on a big race tune.

Absolutely loved that truck. Had the least amount of unscheduled repair of any truck I've owned for more than a year. Thermostats and shocks. I put a set of brakes on it when the right front pad was squeaking (the truck was my money maker... didn't want to have to take it off the road for brakes again)

I currently have two 6.4's, and my CCSB King Ranch is for sale. I bought it from the original owner with bottom end issues. I put a BRAND NEW Ford short block in it, reman heads, new water pump and serpentine belt, new oil cooler, new radiator. The engine has never seen a regen. 133k on the truck, less than 10k on the engine.

Has brand new Michelins and some tasteful OEM cosmetic stuff (XLT sport grill, chrome tow hooks, etc.) Also has a brand new steering wheel!

I built the truck for myself. Didn't skimp on anything.

H&S, custom tunes, etc.

Truck is ready to roll

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
1000hp here, give or take, with stock pistons. Daily driven with that power for a little over 8k. 6k on it tuned prior to that that. 100k miles total on the truck

johnp115

Reaction score
I loved my 6.4, really fun truck. My opinion is if youre looking for one, you want one that has had a new short block put in it and been deleted since the new shortblock. imo thats about the best luck you can start out with for a 6.4.

I wouldnt think twice about getting one, but with a 6.4 you have to be extremely detailed when looking at the history of the truck. Miles stock, miles deleted, how it was used, who had it. Yes you really have to look at that with any truck, but the 6.4 this stuff means much more than others.

Then just check and see what the blow by looks like when youre checking it out, or if you can have a compression test done.

Just some pointers of what id be looking for.

JrStroker

Reaction score
I bought my truck with 98k on it. Deleted at 103k and I've put 30k not so easy miles on it. By no means do I abuse on my truck, but when is time to go, it's time to go. I'm extremly proud of how my truck has held up. I'd buy another one. Just be careful tho, repairs can get expensive fast.

lngwca

Reaction score
165k on mine. Dpf deleted at 100. Only issue for me is radiators... If anyone on here has advice for me I'm open. Been through 3 radiators last 10k.

Other than I'm good at changing radiators. Truck has been awesome.

JrStroker

Reaction score
165k on mine. Dpf deleted at 100. Only issue for me is radiators... If anyone on here has advice for me I'm open. Been through 3 radiators last 10k.

Other than I'm good at changing radiators. Truck has been awesome.
Get an alradco or mishimoto. All aluminum. They fix the radiator problem. Last I checked they were in the high 800 range.

Latest posts

Members online