The Reincarnation of the HRT Race Motor.

907DAVE

Reaction score
The steam port is very close to the cylinder, and when you cut the fire rings out of the stock gaskets to run competition level fire rings the gasket is SUPER thin between the cylinder and the steam port. During start up before things are up to temp the fire rings only seal so-so and without any other provisions blow out in that exact location. By bushing down the steam port and using a viton o-ring there the fire ring setup can hold better during initial start up and warm up criteria. Once the gasket is blown out it never seals worth a damn even warmed up. Or at least this has been my experiences with them.

Ahh...gotcha. I was under the assumption that the fire rings sealed regardless of temp.

Were you using the standard fire ring setup, or something different?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
A hint of things to come....

2590769400088936788S500x500Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Heads are at the machine shop and have been there for a while - but Matt_P's junk is slowing us up with those. Dropped the block off today at a different shop that I use - hopefully that can get done quickly and the motor itself can get back together.

As soon as my truck is back together and moving under its own power - the truck this motor is going into get put on the lift and blown apart - then its all the little things that take time like fuel systems - and compounds :D

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
wow talk about floatn the valves.

the new engine owner should be a happy customer.

The valves weren't floating - that is the sound of the IDM freaking the hell out as the PW its trying to fire the injectors at nearly matches the entire time an injector can fire. There is a signal that tells the IDM the PW and how often to fire - as RPMs go up and the "how often to fire" get closer together - once the IDM reaches a certain duty cycle - well go listen to the video. LOL

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Not to derail but is it the "HRT race motor" or the "HRT race engine"? :shrug:

mo·tor [moh-ter] noun

1. a comparatively small and powerful engine, especially an internal-combustion engine in an automobile, motorboat, or the like.

2. any self-powered vehicle.

3. a person or thing that imparts motion, especially a contrivance, as a steam engine, that receives and modifies energy from some natural source in order to utilize it in driving machinery.

4. Also called electric motor. Electricity . a machine that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy, as an induction motor.

5. motors, stocks or bonds in automobile companies.

en·gine [en-juhn] noun

1. a machine for converting thermal energy into mechanical energy or power to produce force and motion.

2. a railroad locomotive.

3. a fire engine.

4. any mechanical contrivance.

5. a machine or instrument used in warfare, as a battering ram, catapult, or piece of artillery.

OK smartass - here is the official Webster's definition of both motor and engine. :D

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Matt_P and myself made a little road trip on Saturday to drop the block off at the machine shop that I use for my blocks. Met up with Nate at Unlimited and shot the chit for a little bit too.

golfer

Reaction score
engine dyno will be available....if you want to dial it in before y'all plop it in a chassis...

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
engine dyno will be available....if you want to dial it in before y'all plop it in a chassis...

Hmm.... that would save a ton of time.... I already have it lined up to go through the hot retorque sequence outside of the truck, but to dial things in before it goes in would be nice.... I'll shoot you a PM in a few minutes.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Bumpity bump up to the top with an update and a teaser photo. Tons of things got in the way of this thing, but lots was happening in the background to progress it forward. I ended up installing all new valve guides, replaced a couple of valves, a pair of seats, etc in the heads. Got the block all checked out, tweaked a couple minor things, etc...

Things that I updated on this go around for the new owner that I didn't have when I was running it - a partial fill to stiffen things up some - welded the oil squirters as a precaution, welded the cam gear on as that is the reason I pulled the motor to begin with. I replaced the front cover with one that didn't have the "HPOP gasket from hell" crack.

So here is a teaser pic of the metallic graphite and textured black with gold flake paint. :D

533406_374347005953350_118027488_n.jpg

More to come later.

Latest posts

Members online