Things to look for when buying a 6.7?

ford rules

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am selling my 6.0 and looking into a 6.7. What are some things I should look for when buying any years to stay away from?

sootie

Reaction score
2011's had trans valve body issues and valve cracking issues.

PDP

Reaction score
I had an 11 and have a 14 and had to do a turbo, this was running a tuner. 60,000 on the 11 and 30,000 on the 14.

ford rules

Reaction score
Thanks guys!! I had heard of the turbo issues but not the trans issues.

Anything I should look at on the scanner before I buy? Temps voltages etc?

TrickTruck

Reaction score
These trucks run really good.
I just hit the cutoff for the job2 and haven't had much trouble.

Mine came with a defective ring gear. PITA they were about it, but free fix.
Also had the reverse delay on cold start recall. NBD, fixed.

It got the Truetrac very early on, suspension and tires shortly after and then some parts fell off. MM tuned by g3arh3ad. SuperArmor from Unlimited Engineering protects it and can get it out of trouble too.

Runs like a raped ape, tows like there's nothing back there (grossing 25klbs) and even does OK at the pump. Now, it's no prius at the pump and the ride will always let you know it's a truck, not a car w/ a pickup bed on it. But I like it a lot.

Ifn' I were you and hunting, I'd try to get a job2 (made after January 2012) and look for something in the 50kmi range, that's clean and a color you like.

I would not be afraid of one where some parts fell off and tuned. It's actually better for them - less crap being breathed. Lots of leveling kits w/ factory size tires (35".)

Stay away from anything with Confederate Diesel turbo parts - shudder. {can I even say that here?}

In the 11-14s the turbo craps out eventually, but it's not rampant like some would have you believe. I'm ready to turn 60k and it's fine so far. It's on my todo list, but the landscape changes so fast. Trans is stout (reverse delay is a pump leaking down - nbd.) The 13+ got the new Sync, a different dash and slightly bigger brakes. Then there's the 15+ w/ a non-vgt turbo and bigger pump & weaker trans.

And lots of threads here on the subject. Search and read. Then go get a truck and enjoy it.

Notneb

Reaction score
I had a '12, just upgraded to a '15. You might help us out with what your budget is. Almost everyone will try and push you to a '15 just because except for the trans, everything in them is a step above everything from the '11-14's. If a '15 isn't in your budget, then '12-14 is going to be your best bet. '11's are hit and miss, not saying there aren't good deals out there, but if it were me I'd stick with a '12-14.

Honestly I put my '12 through a lot, and like everyone else is saying, the turbo was the only weak spot. So figure that into your budget also, because why not upgrade to a towmax, streetmax or a retro '15 turbo? It's not very expensive and it's peace of mind.

PDT1081

Reaction score
I had a '12, just upgraded to a '15. You might help us out with what your budget is. Almost everyone will try and push you to a '15 just because except for the trans, everything in them is a step above everything from the '11-14's. If a '15 isn't in your budget, then '12-14 is going to be your best bet. '11's are hit and miss, not saying there aren't good deals out there, but if it were me I'd stick with a '12-14.

Honestly I put my '12 through a lot, and like everyone else is saying, the turbo was the only weak spot. So figure that into your budget also, because why not upgrade to a towmax, streetmax or a retro '15 turbo? It's not very expensive and it's peace of mind.

To add to this, your best bang for the buck is probably going to be a USED 15 or 14 with sub 20k miles. They are out there, have the balance of the factory warranty, and should be $20k or more off original sticker price.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
eh, most people want new money for trucks like that... you're probably better off taking a trip to TX and buying a brand new one for $10k+ off sticker. which is what I see 20k mile 14-15's listed for... often higher!

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
WHS^ when I went to TX to get my 08 last year, the sales man was trying to get me in a brand new 14 platinum for 52K out the door.

Latest posts

Members online