Think my trans is done

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Last week My truck started dropping out of drive when I was sitting at a stop light,but only when the trans was over 170/180. Give it a little of the skinny pedal and it will go back in gear and off you are. It shifts perfectly otherwise, except for some rare times when it misses the 1/2 shift and I have to back off and get back into it, and that's usually only when I'm turning off a side road and trying to get up to speed on a main road with the trailer behind me. I dropped the pan and found a lot of metal. Mostly small shavings but more than a dozen large chunks and shards. I'm thinking the pump is eating itself and its not building enough pressure at idle once the fluid gets hot enough. At this point the truck has 190k on it and has only had a solenoid replaced in the trans. I think it's time is coming.

That said I am thinking of buying an upgraded trans just to be done with it. This truck is only ever going to have tunes on it. It's a 100% work truck and I want to take care of this before I'm stranded with the trailer on or a load of topsoil in the bed. I am looking at the twisted stage 1 and am going to call them today. Just not sure where else to look. My local place wants $3800 to put a stocker back in, but I have access to a lift and a willing friend to help out so I think I can manage this job. Any feed back is appreciated. Thanks

sootie

Reaction score
ya with a friend and a lift, its only a few hour job. Why not just buy the Ford HD trans...it has a good warranty. Get sunrise on here to quote it.

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
ya with a friend and a lift, its only a few hour job. Why not just buy the Ford HD trans...it has a good warranty. Get sunrise on here to quote it.

Good idea. I was thinking of upgrading the cooler as well while I was in there

sootie

Reaction score
if you have that much chit in your pan, by a new cooler and new lines. dont chance it.

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
if you have that much chit in your pan, by a new cooler and new lines. dont chance it.

Definitely. Shot an email over to the guys at sunrise we will see what they say. Twisted says 3-4 week lead time and he recommended the stage 2. Not sure what to do

4duggan

Reaction score
Got one from Dieselsite , quick when I was converting my 450 to 4X4.
Been in truck for 8500 mile so far and love it .
Hard to beat there customer service.
Just adding anther option for you .

Arisley

Reaction score
I would feel real good with either Twisted's or Dieselsite's transmissions.

Heard the same thing about BTS being long lead times.

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Well went to my ford dealer to get pricing for chits and giggles and he informed there is no such thing as an HD 4R100 from Ford. They quoted me $2566 out the door for a new regular 4R with a 3year/unlimited mile warranty.

The Twisted stage one is the same price(plus freight) and is supposedly a little more stout than stock, but he strongly recommended I go with a stage 2 since the truck pulls a trailer every day all summer and plows snow all winter. Stage two is ~$3500, but either way its 3-4 weeks before it gets packed up and shipped to me. Warranty is 1 year on the stage one, and 2 years on stage 2.

The DieselSite ones look great. Glad I can pick different options and what not. Before core though it is also $3500 and freight shipping is included which is nice. Couldnt find anything about warranty though, and they only have an option for a 550hp billet converter which would be overkill for me(at least I think so)

I need this truck daily. Its limping down the road now but its only a matter of time before it leaves me dry. Not sure what to do

sootie

Reaction score
Someone on here can get you the part number for the ford HD 4r100

greyford1979

Reaction score
Our estimating system at work doesn't have the part numbers, but I did call the dealer we deal with and they said that it is still available. Just couldn't get a part number since I didn't know if yours is a pto and 4x4. I would maybe try a different dealer. Also ask them if a tuner voids the warranty.

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Our estimating system at work doesn't have the part numbers, but I did call the dealer we deal with and they said that it is still available. Just couldn't get a part number since I didn't know if yours is a pto and 4x4. I would maybe try a different dealer. Also ask them if a tuner voids the warranty.
4x4 non-PTO truck

Thanks for the help. I'll call my dealer back and see if maybe he wants to try to look again. My only other dealer within a decent drive doesn't stock much for parts and does zero truck repair, they send them all to the dealer in my town

sootie

Reaction score
call any dealer you want..just to get the part number. Then call your local dealer and tell them to order the part number you provide. or just post in the sunrise thread and they will provide.

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly what the HD Trans entails? Who remans them? If they are anything like their engines I'd want 0 part of it. The last 3 years I've gotten bit by several Ford reman motors. Which isn't a huge deal, it's all covered.

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
There were a bunch of improvements for the HD transmission from what I'm reading. Found a part number online from an older thread but when I called Ford they said it the part no longer existed it and was replaced by the part that they gave me a quote for yesterday.

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Found the part number myself and finally got a price from the dealer, $3800 out the door for the HD4R100 with the same 3 year/unlimited mile warranty, here is a list of what is different between the regular and the HD that I found on another forum

Oversize one piece case bushing for improved durability

Enhanced Forward, Direct, and Intermediate Friction plates for longer life under heavy load shifts

All new special upgraded steel plates

Center Support Enhancements for improved gear train life

Mercon V-OIL for greater heat resistance

Oversize Pump Gear Set for improved oil flow

Upgraded Extension Housing Bushing for improved durability

45 Element Intermediate Sprag for greater strength to withstand heavy loads

Special coast clutch drum for improved engine braking and increased durability

All new iron planetary assemblies for improved durability

All new one way clutches for improved durability

All new electronics for improved reliability

Revised calibration gives better shifts for heavy duty use

Improved gasketing for reduced leaks