This should work ? ( Electric fuel Change over)

Farmall1246

Reaction score
I've got a 97 Powerstroker . My Mechanical fuel pump went out the other day.So
I've Been doing a lot of research on changing over to a Electric fuel system.There are a lots of kits out there but man there real pricey . I've also read about what people have made home made systems. So I need y'all's in put
On what I've got planed . Also if any one has tried this . Ok this what I came up with.

1. Pull Mechanical pump out
2. Put Freeze plug in
3. Get a super Duty pump install in top of motor
4.screw a pressure safety switch into oil port above filter
On the banjo bolt put a Reducer on

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
OBS bowl wasnt designed for higher psi, youll have to find a different route

Last edited:

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
If you are planning on pushing fuel from the SD electric pump through the factory fuel bowl for filtration, that won't work. The fuel bowl isn't mean to take much more than 5psi.
Also, mounting the pump that far from the tank is going to kill it. Pumps are meant to push, not pull fluid so you want them located as close as possible to the tank.

Farmall1246

Reaction score
So if I were to put the pump on the Frame and swap out the Fuel Canister. Would be the key. Or put two Filters by the pump.( Ive got Connections to a 99 )

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Welcome to the Army BTW

TOM!!!! We're is your fuel system write up thread?

You could get a prefilter for the super dooper pump, get a SD fuel filter housing (I got one) that feeds the front of the heads and then get a regulator for the lines coming from the back of heads then to return line.

m j

Reaction score
a 6.0 HFCM has a built in prefilter.

you tube has an old geezer selling pretty much what you are describing, he pressurizes the 97 fuel bowl
I have no experience with that idea but I have not seen anyone post pics of a failed bowl due to pressure

superduty4x4

Reaction score
For those saying the stock OBS fuel bowl can't hold pressure, my truck runs 75+ psi consistently and I've never had an issue. Don't ask me how, don't ask me why, I don't understand it myself BUT stock fuel pump, stock fuel bowl, crazy high PSI. I'm 98% certain it isn't the gauge and I've rebuilt the bowl, regulator, etc.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
Stock fuel pump is a two stage pump. Pulls fuel from tank and through filter at around 5-10 psi, then pumps it back in itself in a different passage where it bumps the pressure up to 70.

Latest posts

Members online