To keep the 2 piece rear driveshaft or go to 1 piece

05sixliter

Reaction score
As the title states im considering ditching the carrier bearing and 2 piece rear drive shaft for a 1 piece shaft. My carrier bearing needs replaced and I planned on doing all 3 U joints too but considered swapping the entire shaft out. Pros? Cons? Opinions? Truck is a 05 ccsb leveled on 33s. S366, 190/100s, stage 3 Twisted trans. Will be ordering Flight Fabrications 4 link, traction bars, and Fox 2.0s in the immediate future.

ToMang07

Reaction score
1-piece is the way to go, albeit expensive.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64569

http://s752.photobucket.com/user/ToMang07/library/CCI Driveshaft

20150708_113437_zpsv4tmw7zw.png

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I dont even remotely see the need for a one piece driveshaft. I have a 2 piece in my truck that has over 75 pulls on it. 4 Wheel drives launches, and survived the DPC hell I put it through

New GENUINE spicer components, and run it. Nothing to worry about!

sootie

Reaction score
I dont even remotely see the need for a one piece driveshaft. I have a 2 piece in my truck that has over 75 pulls on it. 4 Wheel drives launches, and survived the DPC hell I put it through

is yours the one out of an F450 that is modded to work on your truck?

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
is yours the one out of an F450 that is modded to work on your truck?

Yes. Mine is a stock F450 driveshaft that I shortened the front section on.

My stock unit survived for 4 1/2 years of abuse until my truck hopped really bad at peoria and twisted off at the carrier.

I would have put a stock 350 driveshaft back in it. But the junk yard had this as the same cost and had better joints.

The average person doesn't need one, I just did it for the hell of it

IIRC, JD still has the stock 2 piece in his truck too.

ToMang07

Reaction score

Well, 2 carrier bearings in less than 3 years taught me carrier bearings suck.... and replacing 2 u-joints is a lot easier than 3 plus carrier bearing Bullchit.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Well, 2 carrier bearings in less than 3 years taught me carrier bearings suck.... and replacing 2 u-joints is a lot easier than 3 plus carrier bearing Bullchit.

You realize that Semi's run carrier bearings making a lot more power/torque than we do correct? What type of bearings are you replacing them with? Is your driveline angle'd correctly? Have you ruled out all the independent variables to come to the conclusion that carriers are in fact junk?

Not trying to be an asshole either, just factual.

ToMang07

Reaction score
You realize that Semi's run carrier bearings making a lot more power/torque than we do correct? What type of bearings are you replacing them with? Is your driveline angle'd correctly? Have you ruled out all the independent variables to come to the conclusion that carriers are in fact junk?

Not trying to be an asshole either, just factual.

Other than airbags, the entire rear end of my truck is 100% stock. IDK if it was from plowing/towing, off-roading, or salt/sand on the roads, but after the 2nd carrier bearing went (I was towing) I was done ***king with the thing. IMO it's a stupid damn design anyway. Why do you need a 2 piece when a 1 piece works?

Sure, semis have 2 piece shafts, they are also a lot damn longer than a regular pickup, so weak argument imo. The longer angle is less aggressive, has less parts, why wouldn't you want a 1 piece?

And I don't remember what brand u-joints I tried last 2 times, one was sealed the other had the zerk grease fitting, both lasted less than a year. Spicier u-joints (the big 1480s) on the new shaft too...so those suckers should last.

Layson

Reaction score
Other than airbags, the entire rear end of my truck is 100% stock. IDK if it was from plowing/towing, off-roading, or salt/sand on the roads, but after the 2nd carrier bearing went (I was towing) I was done ***king with the thing. IMO it's a stupid damn design anyway. Why do you need a 2 piece when a 1 piece works?

Sure, semis have 2 piece shafts, they are also a lot damn longer than a regular pickup, so weak argument imo. The longer angle is less aggressive, has less parts, why wouldn't you want a 1 piece?

And I don't remember what brand u-joints I tried last 2 times, one was sealed the other had the zerk grease fitting, both lasted less than a year. Spicier u-joints (the big 1480s) on the new shaft too...so those suckers should last.

I don't know if you have traction bars but if you don't that is the one bad thing about airbags. It unloads your springs and they lose a lot of the ability to fight axle wrap. When you watch all those OUO videos you can see the driveshaft not being happy.

I have a two piece in my cclb that has 12" of lift. If I didn't have it all gone through when I had it lengthened it would have the same carrier bearing in it. It is all about the angles and if yours is burning though them then something is off. It wouldn't surprise me if it was because you have air bags and no bars.

ToMang07

Reaction score
I don't know if you have traction bars but if you don't that is the one bad thing about airbags. It unloads your springs and they lose a lot of the ability to fight axle wrap. When you watch all those OUO videos you can see the driveshaft not being happy.

I have a two piece in my cclb that has 12" of lift. If I didn't have it all gone through when I had it lengthened it would have the same carrier bearing in it. It is all about the angles and if yours is burning though them then something is off. It wouldn't surprise me if it was because you have air bags and no bars.

Well, I run the plow with between 500-1000lbs of sand in the bed, so during winter I run ~40psi in the bags, but when the bed is unloaded I only run 5-10psi. Other than that only time I use the bags is towing or hauling something heavy, since the front is level and I don't want to bulldog it, if you know hat I mean. But I do want to get some traction bars, regardless.

Last edited:

05sixliter

Reaction score
Upon further research I'm finding out you can't replace the carrier bearing in the stock shaft without cutting the shaft and re welding?? Seems like a bs design if true.

Downey

Reaction score
Not true iirc. Once you get the unjointed apart it's just a matter of getting old bearing off shaft and getting new one on. Mark your drive shaft before you pull it out of the truck make sure you put it back together correctly. This way it will stay balanced.

dsberman94

Reaction score
You have to pull the knuckle from the center joint which has to be marked to go back on so the u-joints all stay the same orientation the whole way through the shaft length. Seemed like the hardest part was getting the nut off that holds the knuckle on from watching videos of people do it. Then just use a puller on the old bearing and I think they used the knuckle to help put the new bearing on although I'd have to look that up again.

https://youtu.be/6oyYC4RpkF8

Last edited:

Pstroke14

Reaction score
Had a 1 piece on my 2001 f350 with 8inches of lift bout the only way I could get the angle right and ride good,slip yoke with a double Cardin (cv style double joint ) worked fantastic , took a beating too , it cost $700 to have the damn thing made but it was worth it after messing around dropping center bearing and shimimg to compensate for the angel i got tired of slight vibration just had that' shaft built done deal

Latest posts

Members online