Torque converter

genuineford

Reaction score
So my transmission is on its way out and I have a stock replacement on the way. My question to you guys is what is a good upgraded torque converter to put in that will not break the bank? I am pretty sure what is happening is that the TC is coming apart and debris is getting in the trans and it is failing. I would like one that would hold up to my driving habits a bit more. The truck is a 2003 with a tuner, exhaust and a regulated return. I do not plan on putting any more go fast parts into this truck as it is our tow pig and needs to be as reliable as a 6.0 can be. LOL Thank ahead of time.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
DPC are around 12-1300...any good quality tripple clutch billet cover converter is going to be over 1000, I can get precision Ind. for around 1k.

If you're looking to not go crazy, I know rev max has a decent converter for around 800-900

Never personally had experience with them though.

Dave

Reaction score
PI or another stocker is gonna be your best bet Steve.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Not going to Lie, I would never get a remanufactured converter if my life depended on it. I did and its a total freakin turd. It suffers from inconsistant lockup and really takes some throttle to get going like its a higher stall converter and sometimes when I put it in gear, it shifts fine into gear but letting off the brake pedal it doesnt even pull the truck forward, yet sometimes it does. Theres something seriously wrong with it. No debris in the pan either. :eek:wned: :doh:

genuineford

Reaction score
I will probably get a PI even tho I don't want to dish the money out for it. I will probably even go through BTS so I can get a credit for it if I want to have a full built trans down the road.

sly1types

Reaction score
I will probably get a PI even tho I don't want to dish the money out for it. I will probably even go through BTS so I can get a credit for it if I want to have a full built trans down the road.

I got a BTS converter which is Bryan's custom Precision Industries and it's really nice. Stalls at the same rpm but it doesn't slip like the stocker.

I highly recommend it!

chappy

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to say with just a tuner there is no reason why a stocker will not work fine. It could have just been a bad one. If you are not running a 08 pan/filter then that doesn't help because you're only filtering when the trans is fully warmed up and its still not filtering as good. I went from a suncoast to a stocker and I was surprised that the truck pulled just as hard as it did before. I was expecting a difference like I seen with the 4r100 by switching convertors. There is enough 6.4 guys running these convertors that don't have problems except when runing the big tunes which is upper 500's way above where you are. not even the same category really.

chappy

Reaction score
How olds your convertor pizza? Ford does have that 12k 12month warrenty on all parts sold. Just a thought

Mdub707

Reaction score
I agree, I would go a stocker just for the cost. I toasted a stocker in mine a while back. Just made a "clunk" and the whole truck rolled to a stop. The tech who took it out told me the converter "imploded" they put a reman trans in for me and that thing was a piece of garbage for the longest time until that one bit the dust. Then I got a tech who knew what he was doing to work on it, he went through it and rebuilt the whole thing with all new FORD parts... its' been great since. Shifts great. Running GoGo race tune right now...

genuineford

Reaction score
Sorry I did not keep this updated. I ended up getting a whole stock trans and swapped it in. The price was right so I couldn't complain. When I pulled the torque converter out and shook it there was a lot of rattling from inside. I am guessing something let loose in there.

chappy

Reaction score
Haha went thru that with the 4r100 convertor. I cut it apart and the disk came loose inside and wobbled all over tearing itself apart which then sent chunks of steel and clutch thru the tranny. I myself had issues with the convertor on my 5r110 (suncoast convertor hub broke) and bought a whole new remmaned ford tranny from a salvage yard for $800. Its been great so far and never misses a beat. Honestly the 4r100 was a piece of crap in stock form when adding power. The 5r110 is a beast at your power level and should last a long time . Its when you add a lot more power that it needs to be upgraded. I you were gonna throw injectors and a big turbo at it no doubt I would say get a built tranny or convertor. I think you did good.

chappy

Reaction score
3 months 6k miles on it. Ill have to ask them and see what they say.

worth a shot then. As long as you kept the receipt they never have given me a problem or at least have a good relationship with your parts guy. Mine knows me pretty good. Nick named me Al capone for some reason.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online