Towing with D'd with 40ft Toy Hauler

fastcarsspeed

Reaction score
I am running GH Tunes and wanted to know should I switch to the Tow tune to tow my new 5th wheel home? RV will be around 14-15k and I just run the street tune but want to know if I can just turn on the Tow button or should I switch the the Tow tune and also use tow button. spec's below.

2011 F350 8ft Bed SRW 3.31 gears.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
You might just want to monitor the EGTs and modulate the go pedal to keep things in check. Tow button can't hurt either.

fastcarsspeed

Reaction score
I always use the tow button just because I like the gearing better and to have the overdrive off. Luckily I can run the backroads all the way from VA to MD without too much hassle so I feel like I should be ok.

Jomax

Reaction score
I have a 15. But I tow in my race tune all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
15 3.31 gears D'd with GH SOTF. 16k 5th wheel I use tow tune. I also lock out 6th unless I am running higher than 65 mph. I get better fuel economy and the transmission stays cooler. Honestly I have forgotten to switch and there is not much different in tow tune and Race other than when the truck drops a gear power comes on a lot quicker and egts will shoot up faster and higher.

fastcarsspeed

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I have only towed our TT tuned and it is only 8k lbs lol. I am now moving up to a 43' Toy Hauler and the Dry Weight is around 14k and gvwr is 18k. I only ever run the street tune as I just wanted the EGR and DEF gone. I don't really want to deal with a 10min reset to the tow tune if I don't need it on mostly flat land towing. I have towed a 14k gvwr 5th wheel a couple years ago stock and had not problems at all so I just want that same feel if possible even though I know I am heavier now.

fastcarsspeed

Reaction score
I am using the SCT X4 for my tunes. Wanted the EZ Lynk but could not plunk down that kind of money at the time.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Its worth it to get the SOTF tunes. Nust saying...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Seeing that he has the SCT its the sct egt sensor. Or he might be using and edge cts monitor or one of the phone apps for that matter. I have sct i use sct sensor setup to monitor egts

fastcarsspeed

Reaction score
That is my problem. I have not installed an EGT Sensor yet and need to do so before I take the hauler out next month. I towed her home on just the street tune but was on the back roads from charlottesville va to southern md. She towed fine but I am going to add some components and I will switch to the tow tune next time out. Items I am adding.

1. EGT Gauge and sensor
2. Trailair Pin Box

Anyone have recommendations on EGT Gauge? Should I just use the SCT and get the sensor? Guess I should have purchased the mount for the SCT lol.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Its really up to you. Do you want to use the sct to monitor everything or is a autometer or isspro more your style. The only gauge i needed was egt sensor and that mainly for piece of mind... on a side note what pin box are you going with?

08Monster

Reaction score
That is my problem. I have not installed an EGT Sensor yet and need to do so before I take the hauler out next month. I towed her home on just the street tune but was on the back roads from charlottesville va to southern md. She towed fine but I am going to add some components and I will switch to the tow tune next time out. Items I am adding.

1. EGT Gauge and sensor
2. Trailair Pin Box

Anyone have recommendations on EGT Gauge? Should I just use the SCT and get the sensor? Guess I should have purchased the mount for the SCT lol.
Edge CTS2. Hands down.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

fastcarsspeed

Reaction score
Edge CTS2. Hands down.

The Edge is just the display? I would still need the EGT Sensor to go with it. I feel like this is overkill considering I am not trying to have high end performance just safe performance.

08Monster

Reaction score
The Edge is just the display? I would still need the EGT Sensor to go with it. I feel like this is overkill considering I am not trying to have high end performance just safe performance.
It's the best monitor made. Data logging, diagnostics, lots of PIDs to watch. Handy for troubleshooting.

Powderhound

Reaction score
It's the best monitor made. Data logging, diagnostics, lots of PIDs to watch. Handy for troubleshooting.

Agreed with the above comment.
Might be overkill, but can you honestly monitor to much?
I gen if you are not attempting to make a fuel burning monster, the cts can monitor everything.
Read engine codes, clear codes, keep an eye on trans temp, and obviously monitor egt's if you buy an expandable kit.
It's worth the investment in my opinion.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.