towmax ex. manifold studs

hudu

Reaction score
I'm having a towmax installed on my 2011. my mechanic wants to change the ex. manifold studs and nuts including the drivers side. He said they are prone to breaking. I asked the guys at MW,they said they don't change them. I'd like to know all opinions on this. Thanks in advance for all replies.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Probably not a bad idea, as to change the manifolds out requires turbo removal. Dont know if the manifolds are different with the tow max, but the 15 manifolds run 2 longer studs with a bigger spacer on cylinders 4 & 8.

Got one at the shop right now getting a passenger side manifold... Its warranty, otherwise it would be getting 2, as they are known to leak, and its very labor intensive to change them.

DieselDog

Reaction score
I'm having a towmax installed on my 2011. my mechanic wants to change the ex. manifold studs and nuts including the drivers side. He said they are prone to breaking. I asked the guys at MW,they said they don't change them. I'd like to know all opinions on this. Thanks in advance for all replies.
They will break over time due to heat and pressure. We get them all the time on trucks that tow or above 60k miles. I installed 2015 retro kit on my 2012 when I remove turbo in seen one of the studs was broken. This is a common concern. There is update rear studs for both banks you will need 4 studs you can reuse spacers.
Since turbo is off it will save you $100's to do it now. You can remove the studs without even effecting the gasket. The passenger side will need a update heat shields though. With the studs being longer they will hit the shield so either purchase a new shield or you can attempt to modify your stock one. Driver side shield can be reused. If you can wait I'll get the part number for the shield on Monday when I am back at work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20161115_091051.jpg
    20161115_091051.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 82

hudu

Reaction score
the pass. manifold and heat shield came with the MW towmax convertion kit. L don't know if it has the updated studs.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
It probably does not. And for whatever its worth, fords workshop manual says if the studs pull out with the nuts, they need replaced. Usually 6-7 pull the studs with the nuts, so i replace all of em.

Buck1

Reaction score
When I pulled my motor I found that both studs on rear cylinders had broken. Not a bad idea to change and a good time to do it.

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online