Trans Fluid Change

njjeep

Reaction score
I recently got a 08 F-250 Job 3 it has about 78,000 miles on it.

I have changed all the fluids except the trans.

So, far i have ordered a new filter and a case of LV fluid (is this correct since it calls for SP but apparently it no longer is made?)

I was planning on just dropping the pan changing the filter and topping it off with the proper amount.

What is the amount of fluid that i should be putting back? Also, is this good practice or should i get it "Properly Flushed" by the Ford Dealer (Which i do not trust my dealer from hearing horror stories and my experience with them ordering parts lol.)

Thanks for the help

Stroked777

Reaction score
the garage I use to work for had a trans flush machine. IMO that's the best way because it changed all the fluid (fluid in the converter too) and not just the fluid in the pan. Maybe find a shop that does that and but the bullet cost wise to have it all done

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
To flush your trans you need a heated flush machine. They are very, very rare. If you can find one that is the best way to go. Changing only the fluid in the pan is not a bad way to go if you can't find a heated machine.

If anyone tells you they can flush it without a heated machine run away. They don't know that they can't do it.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Sorry auto correct get* hot* t stat* does that help

Don't have to a dik
Yeah, I do. That's me. Take it or leave it, I'm not changing.

I *think* you are saying that they get the trans hot so that the thermostat opens. That's part of the problem, but during the flush how do they keep the trans at 170F or more? If they are putting room temp fluid in the thermostat is going to close during the flush and all you will do is mix the old and new fluid. Do they heat the new fluid to at least 170F before adding it?

njjeep

Reaction score
Hey Mark,

I have been reading the LV fluid is not as good quality as the SP, and that I should find what is left of the SP stock. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online