Trans Fluid for 5R110

Levitc88

Reaction score
I know Ford switched from the "SP" to "LV" on what they call for in the transmission. And that using Mercon is a big no no. Just wondering if anybody is using anything besides the Ford brand fluid?

713Diesel

Reaction score
I got amsoil....... Not sure about the specifics on which kind, I just told the guy what I had and he sent it to me.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
I wouldn't use anything but only OEM unless its A built unit and instructed otherwise by the builder. fomoco has formulated that fluid specifically for the clutch packs that are in it.

MossBack

Reaction score
If you buy Amsoil you will need the Low Viscosity ATF forumlated for ford sp and lv specifications. Under the Magnuson-Moss act if the OEM offers a warranty the consumer has the right to use any other oil so long as it meets the specs. Here for info

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
That's true, but does AMSOIL meet the specs? They don't submit oil to Ford for testing, and they don't submit oil to the API for testing. Who knows if they meet the specs or not?

You want to run a fluid that has a license to produce MERCON SP or MERCON LV fluids if you want to maintain your warranty. AMSOIL DOES NOT have a license to produce those fluids. They work their way around that by saying their fluid is for use where MERCON SP or MERCON LV is specified.

Here is their product page: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/automatic/synthetic-fuel-efficient-automatic-transmission-fluid/
Nowhere does it say this fluid is licensed. AMSOIL does not license any of their fluids.

It may be very good fluid. It might be the best fluid you can buy. If you have a warranty claim Ford can and may deny the claim due to non-approved fluid. AMSOIL does not have a license, so it is NOT MERCON SP or MERCON LV approved.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
ford may deny it but doesnt amsoil warranty anything that was defective if using amsoil? it has to be proven that its the oils fault and vise versa.

live life full throttle

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
AMSOIL probably does warranty it, as long as you can prove that it was an oil problem. Do you want to be stuck between Ford and AMSOIL trying to get either one to pay for a failed transmission? Isn't just easier to use the right fluid?

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
AMSOIL probably does warranty it, as long as you can prove that it was an oil problem. Do you want to be stuck between Ford and AMSOIL trying to get either one to pay for a failed transmission? Isn't just easier to use the right fluid?

:toast:

Jarrod B

Reaction score
That's true, but does AMSOIL meet the specs? They don't submit oil to Ford for testing, and they don't submit oil to the API for testing. Who knows if they meet the specs or not?

You want to run a fluid that has a license to produce MERCON SP or MERCON LV fluids if you want to maintain your warranty. AMSOIL DOES NOT have a license to produce those fluids. They work their way around that by saying their fluid is for use where MERCON SP or MERCON LV is specified.

Here is their product page: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...-fuel-efficient-automatic-transmission-fluid/
Nowhere does it say this fluid is licensed. AMSOIL does not license any of their fluids.

It may be very good fluid. It might be the best fluid you can buy. If you have a warranty claim Ford can and may deny the claim due to non-approved fluid. AMSOIL does not have a license, so it is NOT MERCON SP or MERCON LV approved.

That's enough for me to never run amsoil in my 5r.

Latest posts

Members online