Trans Issues...Input Appreciated.

F250stroker08

Reaction score
So yesterday I was driving the truck on the SPRTN 250 early lock tune and decided to mash it from a stop sign...it spun and shifted thru 3rd fine and then acted like it wanted to downshift once it caught traction but when it went to downshift it would just rev and not accelerate like it was stuck in neutral or between gears. I pulled over and came to a stop then tried to re-accelerate. It started to accelerate then it did the same thing like it was stuck between gears then it slammed into gear and threw the wrench on the dash. From there it would shift 1-2-3-4 but would not go into overdrive.

I pulled up these codes on the dashdaq: P0766-Shift Solenoid D Performance or Stuck Off and P2703 Transmission Friction Element D Apply Time Range/Performance.

I limped it home, turned the truck off, cleared the codes, and retuned it with the 250 late lock tune. I tired to gradually accelerate thru the gears and the same series of events took place. It also feels like the converter is slipping real bad in reverse. I let it sit last night, went out this morning and same thing.

Specs on the truck: 09 F-250, SPRTN 250 daily driven, Intake, Exhaust, Stock trans and converter, 55K miles.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!

sootie

Reaction score
change the shift solenoid first. it is either packed with clutch material and not functioning or the clutches are completely fried.

beaslyb

Reaction score
Trans is probably bad, I never had any clue mine was going out, 1/4 throttle pull it wouldn't shift into 3rd. replace the solenoid and nothing different, pulled the trans apart and direct drive clutches were gone, 40k tuned playing but not totally abusive, head gaskets made it another 8k truck is at 70k now and going to actually order studs tomorrow. Honestly I came here to check the update thread because I'll be ready for that 325 tune if it ever comes out!

beaslyb

Reaction score
If you have the extra money do a converter too, it makes a world of difference. Mine is a RCD 1600 stall I believe. You will also be very surprised at how much smoother a built trans is over stock, it almost shifts like stock, 100 times smoother.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Yeah your trans is fried. Im in chambersburg PA and would be happy to build you one! Doing one as we speak.
e083b9d16aa85bb70be9afe366d33afe.jpg

Latest posts

Members online