Trans Service

I*C*B*M

Reaction score
Well, I broke the 30k mile mark, and I'd like to do a trans service. Does anyone use a deep sump pan? Pros/ cons? Also, what fluid should I use? Thanks for any advice.

Pat

pog

Reaction score
deep sump pan is a toss up of pros and cons. yea you get the extra capacity of fluid but if that fluid ever gets to 220+ degrees its gonna take forever to cool down. what kind of temps do you see now on your trans, do you tow a lot? mercon LV, and the only oil i have found that has that rating is either motorcraft, valvoline maxlife and i believe mobil multi-vehicle atf. i will double check that.

mortal798

Reaction score
Agree 100% with Pog, that extra fluid will take FOREVER to cool down. Stick with a stock pan, add an auxillary cooler if you feel you need the extra cooling capacity.

It should be Mercon LV.

I*C*B*M

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks guys. It's not getting hot, I was just wondering if it would be a worthwile investment. I've never owned an auto.

pog

Reaction score
I could see it being beneficial for track purposes. Where that extra fluid isn't getting as warm as fast as stock pan hence reducing wear on trans parts, and it has time to cool down between races. Correct me if I'm wrong.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I have a stock filter with my mag hytec pan. IIRC the pan has a raised portion for the filter. They might have changed it since I got mine though.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Im gonna look into this manaña. Mine has a Mag Hytec filter

*on edit* - Now y'all have me second guessing, lol. I pulled some numbers up a minute ago and it shows a Mag-Hytec filter for the 5r available. However, I looked at the pictures of said filters doing a quick google search and I can't visually see a difference. Pog may have been right on the 5r. I do remember my 4r being longer than stock. Regardless, a quick call tomorrow and I'll know :D

Last edited:

pog

Reaction score
Side note.. The total capacity of the trans becomes about 25L? Sorry I'm metric. Does anyone still go about 1qrt over to help the rev/slam shift issue.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I dont. I run the tranny fluid in the middle of the cross hatch of the cold area.
Capacity I am not sure. IIRC though I had 15 qts and that was about right for the pan and filter change.

torqueshift

Reaction score
Side note.. The total capacity of the trans becomes about 25L? Sorry I'm metric. Does anyone still go about 1qrt over to help the rev/slam shift issue.

I run with about a 1/2 a quart over to help with 3rd to 4th ...and thats cause i'm running the H&S S2M trans tune...actually i find it happens with all of the H&S trans tunes i've tried....S1L, S2L.....S2L & S2M. :wtf:

I want to try a Gearhead tune i think...I've only read positive posts regarding their trans tunes...as well as their engine tunes.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
I run with about a 1/2 a quart over to help with 3rd to 4th ...and thats cause i'm running the H&S S2M trans tune...actually i find it happens with all of the H&S trans tunes i've tried....S1L, S2L.....S2L & S2M. :wtf:

I want to try a Gearhead tune i think...I've only read positive posts regarding their trans tunes...as well as their engine tunes.

You won't be disappointed! :thumbsup:

pog

Reaction score

i got the same issue with my spartan and when i did run my kem tunes. i always know when its gonna happen and you can really prevent it. always around a corner and the speed falls below 30km/h.

I*C*B*M

Reaction score

X2....I think this week, I'm gonna give matt a call.

Latest posts

Members online