Trans temps

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
I installed my derale trans cooler with e fan and am wondering what the normal temps are? I am running 200-205 running 70 mph on the highway. Is this to high? All the temps are coming from the scan gauge not a dedicated gauge. I should be getting a new trans well new to me rebuilt this fall but don't need to have this one go out until I get the other one. Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
I'd say thats too hot, at 70mph in 80* weather my trans is around 150.

Blowby

Reaction score
Normally 90-100 over ambient. So you should be about 185-195 once the trans oil is all warmed up on the hiway.

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
Thanks never knew what the temps should be running just thought it was a little high

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Blowby

Reaction score
Traffic is a factor. Less air flow on the cooler and the trans could be unlocking the TC at slower mph's. This will cause additional heat.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I thought so to even tho it was 93 with 100% humidity and traffic but I think to hot.
The higher the humidity the BETTER the coolers work. Higher humidity means the air is heavier, so there is more mass passing over the coolers, so they cool better. If you want the worst case for cooler try the desert.

Traffic is a factor. Less air flow on the cooler and the trans could be unlocking the TC at slower mph's. This will cause additional heat.
Yes it will.

Would it be worth it to install a tc switch?
Only if the converter is unlocked most of the time. If it is already locked the switch will not make any difference.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
The TC should lock with good tuning properly... Only thing a manual lock does is take that control away from the PCM.

Your temps are fine, I would not change a thing. Keep in mind 90% of the people that will respond with a temp reading are using an aftermarket gauge, with a probe in the test port. These temps are typically 20-40* COOLER then the internal temp reading you are getting from the PCM.

Your temps are fine.

skylinedan

Reaction score
I see 125 150 most of the time, and my sensor is in the pan. I think that's a good place because your getting a reading from the fluid that was in the trans before the pump gets it and runs it through the cool and back through the trans. I think having it in the "test port" make it read slightly higher due to the case being hotter than the fluid.

Dan

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I see 125 150 most of the time, and my sensor is in the pan. I think that's a good place because your getting a reading from the fluid that was in the trans before the pump gets it and runs it through the cool and back through the trans. I think having it in the "test port" make it read slightly higher due to the case being hotter than the fluid.

Dan

You could not be more wrong...

The test port typically reads 20-40* cooler then the internal reading you get with an edge unit or anything else looking at a PCM input.

The only thing good about the test port is its consistant when talking about temps with other people. If someone says there using an Edge or like for gauges, you can automaticly minus 20-40* from there peak readings, most times this will put them right in line with the test port readings.

Readings in the pan are the worst, they can be all over the place.

Latest posts

Members online