Transfer Tanks VS. Replacement Fuel Tank

truckman1974

Reaction score
After seeing the talk of the Titan Replacement Fuel tanks on the forum here, I have put a little thought into the idea and I've also considered getting a tool box for the back of my truck.

Keep in mind I'm a 1st time diesel owner and also the fact that I've never actually laid eyes on my truck, let alone driven it, as I bought it online and then deployed to West Africa. So, as I said above, I'm just kicking around the idea of the fuel tank problem after seeing a few of you talk about how it seems you're having to stop often for fuel, or you find a fuel station that your truck "likes" better than others but you find yourself having to drive a little further to go fill up etc...

So knowing all of that back to the topic......I like the idea of the tool box so I can keep some tools and stuff back there without looking like Sanford and Son. Then the idea of the fuel tank came about so I thought why not one of these transfer tanks?

After some quick reading on a few of them I saw one that mentioned it had fuel filters on it, one said it feeds directly into your OEM tank somehow, etc....Do they do this???

Which do you prefer and why and can you post some pictures of yours? What some of the coolest transfer tanks with tool boxes that you've seen that don't hog up the bed and look the nicest or have the best features? What should I be thinking about when looking for one? Diamond Plate or just black (is there an advantage/disadvantage to one or the other)?

I have a bak-flip tonneau cover on my truck and would like to be able to still keep a tonneau closed when I don't need access to the bed area.

Thanks y'all! I'm really learing a lot from "hanging" out with y'all in my down time while deployed.

Boompats

Reaction score
I have had a few RDS tanks in trucks with great success. They utilize a ball float valve to fill and automatically shut off the transfer when your OEM tank is full. I have never had an issue with it, but my father has and will occasionally find a puddle under his truck.

If you go with an RDS or like tank, make sure you use a thread sealant around any joints/plugs. I have always used Teflon tape... not sure if it is the best option around diesel fuel, but it worked flawlessly for me.

RedRice589

Reaction score
I have a RDS in my truck it's a 60 gallon with a toolbox on top. I like it and I'll be adding a Titan tank this summer as well. I like a lot of fuel haha. I would have bought one but I bought ranch hands instead. It's nice knowing I can go the 750 miles from. Lexington to Kentucky to Ocala fla on one fill. Costs 250-280 to 300 depending on fuel prices. And i want a longbed so I can get a bigger Titan and a 110 gallon transfer tank haha but there's very little extra room in my truck with the transfer back there. And I would like more toolbox space to keep crap and tools out of my back seat.

jcain

Reaction score
I have a midship replacement 50gal on my short bed. I couldn't imagine losing any of the little bedspace I have

oilfieldstroker

Reaction score
I have a long bed. But I put a 98 gallon fuel cell in it with a fill rite 15gpm pump. On the line I have a goldenrod fuel bowl, into a cim tek 10 micron fuel water, into a 2 micron cim tek particulate. Just changed fuel filters on truck and they looked like brand new after 10k miles. Replaced the 2 micron cim tek -$8.95 and you wouldn't believe all the crap that's in the diesel.

truckman1974

Reaction score
Mine is a short bed....I can see the pros and cons of going either way. I do like the idea of throwing a tool box back there and then I figured if I was going to have a tool box and lose the area it would take up why not get a combo and have an extra fuel tank back there as well. If any of you with short beds have photos you can post showing the tanks you have and how much bed space is left remaining that'd be a great help. Thanks....

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
titan all the way!

you won't have much of a toolbox if most of the space is being taken up by a tank. If the tank is exposed to the sun, you will have a lot more condensation (water in fuel) issues unless the tank is kept full all the time

a quality in-bed tank setup is not cheap.

do yourself a favor and get the big tank under the truck. jmo

gfulton

Reaction score
titan all the way!

you won't have much of a toolbox if most of the space is being taken up by a tank. If the tank is exposed to the sun, you will have a lot more condensation (water in fuel) issues unless the tank is kept full all the time

:whs:

Layson

Reaction score
Mine is a short bed....I can see the pros and cons of going either way. I do like the idea of throwing a tool box back there and then I figured if I was going to have a tool box and lose the area it would take up why not get a combo and have an extra fuel tank back there as well. If any of you with short beds have photos you can post showing the tanks you have and how much bed space is left remaining that'd be a great help. Thanks....

I feel those replacement tanks are way to much money for only 15 more gallons of fuel? (Not sure how much extra a short bed truck gets)

I had a nice small steel tank for the back of my truck it was maybe 9" thick. So it took very little bed space, held ~30 gallons of extra fuel, and was very cheap compared to the replacement tanks.

Then the one thing to think about is where you are going and what are you doing with the truck. Are you going to be in an area where you can't stop for fuel? 7-800 miles (for my long bed) is a long way to go with your stock tank. Most people will stop in that amount of time for a break. Even when we were towing down through Nevada we didn't have any issues finding a fuel station. Worst case throw a 5 gallon can in the bed just in case..LOL Save yourself some money and put it towards something that you will get more out of then an extra 15 or so gallons.

Last edited:

niklid05

Reaction score
50 gallons for titan replacement tank. I have one and love that i dont have to stop every other day for fuel anymore. 160+ miles a day for work. Now i can go about every 4 days.

12stroker

Reaction score
I have a 45 gallon uws fuel and tool in my truck. With a fuel rite pump and filter but I had bought a titan tank to install. But then I changed my mind when a friend of mine had one installed in his truck and the weight of the fuel was leaning his truck to one side it would of bothered the hell out of me. And this has been brought up before with trucks leaning when full. Plus I got my fuel and tool for 300 off of Craigslist basicly brand new. And if I need need to haul anything I will put it on a trailer if needed.

gfulton

Reaction score
I feel those replacement tanks are way to much money for only 15 more gallons of fuel? (Not sure how much extra a short bed truck gets)

I had a nice small steel tank for the back of my truck it was maybe 9" thick. So it took very little bed space, held ~30 gallons of extra fuel, and was very cheap compared to the replacement tanks.

Then the one thing to think about is where you are going and what are you doing with the truck. Are you going to be in an area where you can't stop for fuel? 7-800 miles (for my long bed) is a long way to go with your stock tank. Most people will stop in that amount of time for a break. Even when we were towing down through Nevada we didn't have any issues finding a fuel station. Worst case throw a 5 gallon can in the bed just in case..LOL Save yourself some money and put it towards something that you will get more out of then an extra 15 or so gallons.

24 gallons extra for a short bed, nearly double the capacity.....

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I

Im wanting more fuel capacity in my f-350 because when Im towing my trailer it gets 10.5 MPG. Thats only about 350 miles. Plus with a 44' trailer you cant get into most gas stations and pretty much only limited to truck stops. Ive almost ran out before waiting on a truck stop to show up. (also not planning ahead)

long bed tank is 65 gal. (almost 30 gals more)

Im looking at the replacement tanks simply for the simplicity of having one tank.

thats just me tho.

Layson

Reaction score
Definitely that is a little more than I thought. Not too bad. Understandable why you would want it. When I looked at those years ago it wasn't much more capacity. But, it is all about priorities. It still wouldn't be something I would want to spend a thousand bucks on. If it was a real good deal I might think about it, but I spent 150 bucks on my 30 gallon in-tank bed. Then I sold it for 150 bucks :).

RedRice589

Reaction score

ill take some.... i havent remounted it correctly. I had to pull it out for my new hitch.

titan all the way!

im thinking i need more toolbox space.... or just more fuel haha

You hush.....

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
putting a toolbox in a short bed kills me because it eats up so much space, but if you put an above-rail box, you can still carry a few 4x8 sheets if you drive slow :p

I have to have some sort of dry locking storage (toolbox) in any truck I own, so even though I hate eating up bed space in a short bed, I still do it every time.

But, a tank/tool combo barely gives you any toolbox space. enough for a cheap tool kit, some jumper cables, and a few other nick-nacks. Stuff that would fit just fine behind the rear seat IMO. BUT, you kill 1/3 of an already SMALL bed space.

Plus, I've seen more fuel system issues with trucks w/ drag-up tanks in the bed than without... Obviously some of that is guys getting free fuel on rigs, or buying stolen fuel or whatever trash fuel, but I also see it with guys who buy their fuel legit at the pumps. I contend there is more condensation issues w/ the tank sitting there baking in the sun. You get a wider hot/cold/hot/cold swing and it causes more condensation issues.

I say put a bigger one under the truck.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Decide what will work best.

1) A true transfer tank that fills as you drive with an auto switch or switch in the cab.
2) A toolbox/transfer tank that has a filling nozzle to refill the truck fuel and other equipment.
3) A replacement larger tank such as a Titan.

You can search around for all of these and not pay full retail. Of course each has it's pros/cons. Are you just wanting to increase range of the truck?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.