Transfercase issues 273f NP

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
I have a ESOF 273F case and it goes crazy in 4 wd. Once shifted into 4 wd the light comes on, on the dash, and it locks. Once driving it will slam in and out of 4 wd randomly. I took the hubs out of auto and manually locked and checked that they were indeed locked, and they were and it changed nothing. There are no codes referring to transfer case shift operation and when I data streamed it, it shows that the shift motor goes into and stays into 4 wd. I drained the transfer case and there were heavy shavings in it that immediately sank to the bottom of the drain pan. Does anyone have any ideas or had this problem before? Does anyone have schematics? I am going to split it. Do any sponsors on here have good prices on rebuild kits?

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Pull the motor off and shift it into 4wd with a wrench and see if it pops out while driving. Edit if there was metal in it then something is torn up. Open it up and see whats going on. You can find a np273 for cheap swapping a good used one in is a option.

Last edited:

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
Pull the motor off and shift it into 4wd with a wrench and see if it pops out while driving. Edit if there was metal in it then something is torn up. Open it up and see whats going on. You can find a np273 for cheap swapping a good used one in is a option.

I will give that a try. Once the shift motor makes the mode change I woul think that it would almost lock into that position and hold the shift fork, wouldn't it. It's not a stretched chain skipping problem it seem like it randomly activates once shifted into 4 wd randomly.

Latest posts

Members online