Trickle Charger

Ouch

Reaction score
Tell me your opinions about this, would it be worth doing..

Im thinking about getting a little 3a 12v charger and mounting the charger and connecting it to the batteries and tie into my block heater, So when I plug the heater in I also get some charge going to the batteries for the nice minnesota nights.

Worth it or dumb idea?

Dave

Reaction score
Only worth it if your truck sits for a week or so at a time without running.

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Tell me your opinions about this, would it be worth doing..

Im thinking about getting a little 3a 12v charger and mounting the charger and connecting it to the batteries and tie into my block heater, So when I plug the heater in I also get some charge going to the batteries for the nice minnesota nights.

Worth it or dumb idea?

Ive thought of doing that but, fresh good quality batteries and a good starter never fails.

bluedge8

Reaction score
if you have good, matched batteries, and you plug your truck in, it should start like it has been running already, therefore no need for the charger, also that implies you have your truck plugged in all night, but all you need is 2-3hrs before you want to start it and it will start just as well as if it was plugged in all night and save you some ching when xcel comes a knockin'- I installed a 20a outlet on a basic time clock, works great.

CamTom12

Reaction score
I've got a good trickle-charger hard mounted in my truck. It, my block heater, and my oil pan heater all junction to a plug, with room for a trans pan heater if I feel I need it later this winter.

I went with the trickle-charger over battery heaters because of lower amp draw and I've heard the batt heaters shorten battery life.

I know it doesn't get as cold where you're at, but I'd do it. It can't hurt. Mount a junction box so if you want to just plug the trickle-charger in you can (like for storage).

Ouch

Reaction score
Ill just do the pluging in 3-4 hrs before I start it in the morning with a timer, my batteries are new so Ill be fine... Never had a problem last year while I was running synthetic oil, this year with the conv. oil It didnt want to start the other day until I plugged it in for a while...

Tom S

Reaction score
I think it is a good idea. Those onboard charges can be found for a reasonable price as well.

chromehound

Reaction score
I've run the little maintainers you can buy at WalMart or any auto parts stores on my trucks and plan to add one to the new truck when I get around to it. I'm kinda lazy with how I put mine in-I just buy a 1:3 block and hook the maintainer and block heater up to it and run a cord out to it. I like having the maintainers to keep the battery "topped up" and warm during the winter.

ParkerFly

Reaction score
I've used the trickle chargers on equipment before (never a truck) and they work great. Like others said though, having the block heater plugged in, it should fire right off without even having to heat the glow plugs.

NotStock

Reaction score
Just make sure that it is a smart charger and wont overcharge your batteries. I cooked a set of Optimas with what I thought was a smart charger. Came back to the shop to find an odd sound of boiling. Both batteries were pissed...

Zaairman

Reaction score
I've got a cheapo $20-25 Wally World trickle charger mounted on both my boat and truck. Both have dual lead acid Kirkland's Best batteries. My boat batteries are almost 6 years old, and still going strong. They are on the maintainer most of the time when not in use, especially in the winter. My truck sits for weeks at a time (sometimes) and is on the maintainer when I know it will be sitting for a long time. I have it mounted between the battery and where the factory airbox used to be.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.