Truck broke down, need opinions

Mdub707

Reaction score
Not with this truck no I don't. Got a ticket in the TDI two nights ago too, for having a damn headlight out. It literally went out on my ride home, and it was 9:30, there was no auto parts stores open to get the bulb, get pulled over and get a fix it ticket. Super!

Zmann

Reaction score
go get your truck

and just FYI bench testing a starter only tells you it spins .. not that it can turn over a diesel

but I think you need to get it out of there and poke around yourself

Mdub707

Reaction score
I have no means of dropping the trans in my driveway though. Just a crappy situation all around. I'm going to go call these fuggers up right now though, this is ridiculous.

Called them up... he apologized because nothing had been done, his "diesel tech" had a family emergency apparently and just got back today. Is a diesel tech really needed to drop a trans and swap a flex plate? I guess so. Oh well. FML.

Last edited:

CCRICE

Reaction score
It's not like they don't have the manuals on a computer.. A monkey could fix a truck with idiot proof instructions and given the right equipment... JMO though. Hope you get it sorted out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blk350on20s

Reaction score
I think thats a load of b.s. most dealership has a helper for the techs. People that do the more monotonous tasks while the tech does the advanced and certified required jobs

Mdub707

Reaction score
Dealer just called, they dropped the trans and finally figured out it was the flex plate! Surprise.

However... they want $2100 parts and labor to fix it... WTF. I was shocked. He said they have 10 hours into it already getting the trans out. Are you fuggin kidding me? Looking at getting it towed somewhere else to have it done anywhere else at this point, that price is absurd in my opinion. He said parts are about $300.

Wright337

Reaction score
Dealer just called, they dropped the trans and finally figured out it was the flex plate! Surprise.

However... they want $2100 parts and labor to fix it... WTF. I was shocked. He said they have 10 hours into it already getting the trans out. Are you fuggin kidding me? Looking at getting it towed somewhere else to have it done anywhere else at this point, that price is absurd in my opinion. He said parts are about $300.

Thats crazy. I have put several of these trans in before, and I can have one out in 2 hrs by myself. Thats with a lift and a trans jack though. 10hrs so far? I call B.S.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'm looking at a TSB for 05-07 superduties that is for branch tube replacement. If I'm reading this right, it calls for 10.8hrs to remove the trans, replace the branch tube AND replace the transmission, and the flex plate comes off during this process... how is this possible...

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
That's warranty time. I believe warranty time for a trans r and r is bout four or four and a half hours. Add forty percent for retail give or take.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Wow. That is plain ridiculous. Id be gettin the truck outta there hands and show them that tsb. I could walk my brother through it in under 10 hours and he is far from mechanically inclined

Mdub707

Reaction score
That's warranty time. I believe warranty time for a trans r and r is bout four or four and a half hours. Add forty percent for retail give or take.

They're going to be well over 100% above warranty time here? They're at 10 hours and all they've done is removed the starter and pulled the transmission... Why is warranty time so much different than retail??? I can see a small variance, but this is absurd. The 10.8 hours also includes diving under the valve covers to undo the oil rails... they don't even have to do that here.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I would go in and start of b#*chin and tell them you were seeking a prefessional job in a timely manner not a the bs they are selling you. It shouldn't be anywhere near that in my opinion.....

This is exactly why we all have such a disrespect for the dealerships.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Because Ford sticks it up the tech's ass when they're paying the bill. I used to get 5 hrs to pull any trans and tear it down. Which usually worked out to about 2.5 for removal and 2.5 for tear down.

I would pay no more than an hour for diag, and probably no more than about 6 to swap the flywheel. And you've said they have ten hours in it so far.... Wtf are they gonna stick you for putting it back in?!

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yeah exactly! 10 hours to slide a tranny back... FUGG that.

I've just made plans to get it done somewhere else. Someone I trust (who has been historically crazy busy). I will have AAA tow it out of the dealership and it's getting sent to a buddy in my home town. It will probably sit for two weeks or so as he's finishing up a truck now and has to pour concrete, but then mine goes in, and better news yet is we're going to do my studs/headgaskets at the same time. I feel a LOT better about the situation. I will make it known at the dealership I am NOT happy with the service thus far and make sure the general manager knows he just lost a NEW car sale out of this, my gf has been drooling over the new eco-boost escapes.

This is ridiculous, but shame on me as this has been pretty much par for the course dealing with any Ford service center I've been to. Thanks Ford for keeping me out of 6.7 powerstroke payments, just so I don't have to deal with this.

Mark my words gentlemen, this is the LAST time this truck ever sees a Ford service center while under my ownership. I will fix it myself or let it rot in the driveway before it goes back there.

SootRoller

Reaction score
Make sure you nail them on the survey they hand out with your receipt. That will hurt them far worse than anything you can walk in and say to them. Trust me. 10 hours? No way in gods green earth. Somebody needs to get a handle on their greedy technicians. Worst part is, management is letting them get away with it! Once greed consumes a shop, it's all down hill after that. Case in point....

Latest posts

Members online