Truck is loosing freon

Taccurso

Reaction score
My dad has a 09 f-250 with the V10 and he has taken the truck to two different shops neither shop can find the leak so they just keep adding freon does anybody know where it may be going or where its leaking at???

greasltn

Reaction score
Hard to say without looking at it. Could be the condensor, evap, compressor, dryer, line, or any connection in the whole mess.

MorganY

Reaction score
UV dye is your friend.

FWIW I had my compressor blow freon out of the bleeder valve because my fan clutch was broken and wasn't moving air through the condenser at idle.

Last edited:

ditch_dawg

Reaction score
Do they come from the factory with UV die in them? Might be easier for the OP to get a black light than a sniffer.

If you can't get either of them check the entire refrigerant loop and see if you can find any oil. There is oil in the system along with refrigerant when there is a leak the oil will remain as the refrigerant will likely get boiled off. I would physically run my hand along all of the lines. Check the relief valve as was mentioned earlier. I've only had my truck a few months and haven't really gotten up close and personal with the A/C. You might be able to check the bottom of the HVAC unit case inside the cab as well....if there is a leak inside (evap) oil will migrate to the bottom and if there is a joint it will leak through.

Good luck!! Hopefully, you can find it and it is something simple.

Taccurso

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys I believe they have done the whole dye thing and didn't find anything idk about the sniffer... I will talk to him tomorrow and let y'all know what all they have done and get back with y'all thanks for the help so far!

Wingnut

Reaction score
Could also be the seal on the end of the comp... Best way to find it is a sniffer. I don't care for the UV dye myself.. Also as said above look for oil but it doesn't always show. Good old fashion dawn dish soap and water in a spray bottle then go over the joints and look for bubbles.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Has dye from factory.

Check condenser where steel brackets rivet on, look in evap drain with black light. Take clutch hub off ac comp and look at shaft seal.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.