Truck pulling to left

sagebel

Reaction score
My truck consistently pulls to the left. Alignment shop says it is in spec. I have rotated tires and ran the stockers as well with no change. If I hold the wheel centered the truck will drive straight. Once I let go the truck goes left even on heavily crowned roads. I have had my leveling kit on for about 15K miles. This problem has developed in the last 9K.

yzrmbsg

Reaction score
Alignment, bad ball joints, tie rods, track bar, brake drag....could be a number of things. Get under there and see if anything is loose! Do you have any play in the steering wheel while parked?

sagebel

Reaction score
No play in the steering wheel. 26k on the truck. Everything is thought. No brake drag. At this point I am thinking of going to another alignment shop. I have been using Les Schwab. The Goodyear here in town says they will need to do a ground alignment because the truck is too long for their rack. I am not up on the different ways to check alignment. Should I have do it or find a different shop?

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
this is common and the alignment shop needs to think outside the box if there is nothing wrong with the truck and put some negative camber on the left side or positive camber on the right or a lil bit of both. for the meanwhile you can increase LH pressure and decrease RH pressure until you can get it fixed

tmillburg

Reaction score
friend of mine had same issue, he put a adjustable track bar on, solved the problem, a relocate bracket will do the same

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Any chances the rear isn't straight like a broke center pin or something like that?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Or another thing might be he steering gear box it self. There is a valve on the input shaft that applied pressure to the piston in the direction you are turning I suppose there is the slight possibility that the valve isn't correct and is essentially forcing the thing to steer slightly to the left with no input...

Its going to be tough to get Ford to warranty that...

sagebel

Reaction score
I understand it is not a warranty thing. Hopefully I can look at the rear end this weekend. I have adjusted air bag pressure empty, loaded, towing, and not towing with no change. I didn't think it would but I knew it wouldn't hurt to try. Since I don't drive the truck every day and have been working long hours I haven't had time to mess with it. Hopefully I can get it nailed down this weekend or next week when things are slower.

Thanks for the steering box idea. I didn't realize there was a vavle there. Only thought there was a preload adjustment. Is this valve serviceable or do I end up getting a new box?

SAK

Reaction score
My truck did the same thing when I bought it, the crown of the road is the enemy, most alignment shop do not know that since the truck is lifted it needs to have more caster. Depending on how much the truck is pulling will determine how much more caster you need to add to the right side.

Manytoys

Reaction score
My 12 450 pulls slightly to the left also with a readylift 3 1/2 kit. I put the 5" blocks in the rear and have since noticed that I don't have the rear diff centered. It's off to the right a bit, and I'm wondering maybe that's the cause of the pulling?

sagebel

Reaction score
I'm not sure that I can blame the leveling kit. I have had it installed for almost two years now. The pulling to the left has only been in the last few months.

Zmann

Reaction score
Or another thing might be he steering gear box it self. There is a valve on the input shaft that applied pressure to the piston in the direction you are turning I suppose there is the slight possibility that the valve isn't correct and is essentially forcing the thing to steer slightly to the left with no input... ...
I had a box do this

u could jack up the front and let go of the wheel and the tires would turn

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Axle joint, or 4x4 hub in lock instead of auto? Throwing out ideas here.

Turn the axle shafts they should turn freely with the truck in 2wd.

Latest posts

Members online