truck ran like s**** pulling my 5'vr home

bluedge8

Reaction score
So I just wanted to start a thread to bounce ideas off of you guys.
truck stats:
f350 cclb 4x4
266k miles
4:10 gears
285/75/16's
3" down pipe to 4" full exh, no cat, has a flow through muffler
6637 air filter
ts 6 pos chip, Dynoproven tunes
custom remote fuel fitler and regulator, still has mechanical fuel pump

30' 5th wheel, 9800lbs
pretty flat terrain.

I have noticed it rough running here and there but I haven't had it loaded down since this spring and it ran fine then. So I hooked up the 5th wheel and headed for home about 100 miles. Started out on 2 lane 55mph roads, it accelerated fine up to about 35 mph ok then started to fall on it's face and had trouble maintaining 55mph and then it started to miss. I would back off for a little bit and then hammer down and it would run smooth for a little bit then start missing again. For the whole 100miles.

Now, the first thing I am thinking is I either have an air leak in my fuel system. Or, I'm running out of fuel pressure. Another thought is that I'm running out of hp oil, but with stock sticks I don't think it's oil. I am going to buy a fuel pressure test kit tomorrow to see where the fuel pressure is at. I just bought a used reg return and I have an SD electric fuel pump, but I was planning on towing double on a 4 hr trip leaving this thursday, so time is limited on putting a fuel system in the truck by then.

Any other thoughts on where to look?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Something that took me a bit to figure out was when my tank selector valve failed between positions, and was hardly letting any fuel by. Truck would idle all day long, first gear fine, 2nd gear okay, 3rd gear would fall on it's face and actually die. You could have sucked some trash into a fuel line, piece of rubber pickup foot, etc. Mine had pieces of rubber in them as well from the pickup foot.

bluedge8

Reaction score
it has obd II port. I've been meaning to buy AE but haven't yet. I have a scan gauge but didn't have it with me, I'll plug it in and check for codes.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Just checked fuel pressure. idling, it's at 42. when I kicked on the high idle it dropped to 40 then oscillated from 40 to 48. When I power braked the truck in stock tune and hi perf it dropped to 36. I'd say a fuel system is a good place to start. what should a stock truck make for fuel psi? not worried about obs with mechanical vs. SD with electric, just wondering what the minimum should be?

bluedge8

Reaction score
Yep, I am thinking that it needs e fuel before I even bother loading it harder

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online