Truck started...shut off, electrical issue somewhere

02BigD

Reaction score
Started the truck this morning. Fired right up after 5 seconds I noticed a haze which is abnormal and 2 seconds later truck shuts off. Immediately think that felt like it ran out of fuel. Cycled the key, started to crank and realized I didn't hear the fuel pump running. Turned key off, removed it from the ignition and noticed the "check battery" and glow plug indicator lights remained on even with the key out. Cycle key, still no fuel pump.

Unplug the negative terminals to give everything a chance to reset. Plug them and walk around to driver's side and notice the trailer brake controller is lit showing power, which it should only be doing with the key on but the key isn't even in the ignition. Cycle key, and same dash lights remain on even with the key out, as does the brake control lights.

Removed positive and negative cables, removed feed and little wires from glow plug controller to isolate that, removed the chip from the pcm, and checked every fuse individually. Can see no visual indications of an issue, but as soon as I hook up the negatives, the brake controller comes on and if the key is cycled, the same 2 dash lights will remain on even with the key removed.

I flat out suck at electrical stuff and appreciate any input greatly.

Latest posts

Members online