Truck stuck at work. . .no start, no tools. . .yet

KPSquared

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The beast fired up find this morning and I drove to work with no issues. I came out at 2:00 to find the command start hadn't started it and it was just sitting.

I jumped in, cycled the glow plugs (it's 5*F here right now, it was plugged in) and it just went CLICK. doesn't seem to pull hard when it clicks. I hooked up some jumpers but it made no change.

New batteries a couple weeks ago, all new cables (big 3, 00 welding cable). All connections are good.

Is the solenoid right on the starter? I didn't have any tools with me at work and managed to get a ride home but now I'm back for the midnight shift and I need a good starting point in the morning.

I should be able to gather some tools tomorrow. Might get it towed if it doesn't warm up outside. I figure it's either a stuck starter or a crap solenoid.

Anyone offer any advice or start me in a good direction? Common failures, etc?

Its a 2001 F350. Thanks!

vcassens

Reaction score
Get a hammer and hit the starter while someone tries cranking it. That has worked for me a few times on different vehicles. On my last 6.0 I would have to use a screw driver and jump the post on the starter and that was the only thing that would work on it but I only had to do it about once a week until I had the cash for a new starter

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

KPSquared

Reaction score
I'll give that a go. That was my plan for the morning. It's gonna be pitch black and freakin cold. Its now -6*F . . . frick its cold.

If it lets go with some gentle tapping, I'm guessing that means a new starter is needed?

Anyone have opinions on what to buy? Is there one that spins faster or pulls less amps? Like a gear reduction unit or something?

vcassens

Reaction score
I would say probably a new starter. As for which one that is up to you I just went to the parts house and got one with a life time warranty on out and called it a day.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

KPSquared

Reaction score
Sounds good. I'll piss around with it when I get off in a few hours and see whats up. Really wish I had renewed my AAA. . . coulda had it towed to my warm shop for free. . .

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Try jumping the starter relay, mounted on the passenger fender in the engine compartment...

sent by the beard

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
Is it an Automatic Transmission?

If so try moving the shifter to neutral, or wiggling it, if it is sloppy there are 2 torx screws at the base of the shifter tube that are known to work loose.

loose_gearshift_bolts.jpg

KPSquared

Reaction score
Can thre relay on the fender behind the battery be intermittent?

I got it running by jumping the relay with a screwdriver but then when I tried it again with the key, it fired up. Kinda make a "click, clunk" first but then spun and fired like normal.

Is this suggesting a starter issue or should I just replace the relay and keep an eye on it?

Arisley

Reaction score
That is usually exactly how relays go out. To the normal person they just die. If you jump across them they will sometimes clean the crud off the contacts and then work for a while. Don't trust it, I would start by replacing the relay.

KPSquared

Reaction score
Thanks guys. My parts guy has one so the beast should be good as new soon.

Why does rock auto call the relay a solenoid? Seems guys use those terms interchangeably.