Trying to beat the GVWR

bad12jr

Reaction score
Sorry I completely missed the srw part of that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

simonton6.4

Reaction score
If your going to do airbags, you wouldn't need to change springs, you might be able to just put dually wheels on and everything would work, worst case you swap the rear axel, front end just add the wheel spacer.

That being said, better double check your DOT laws, I though you couldn't have a GVWR of 10,000lbs on your trailer without a cdl.

Other wise it's a great plain. I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work, but just remember you wouldn't be able to put more than 7k on you're rear axle because of the door sticker.

Isn't the spring pack on a drw bigger then the one on a srw and I was gonna do the Dana BC I thought it would be stronger and maybe bigger brakes?

Most our work is ga and it's always ga dot that gets us we got hit once in va for the same thing but all the others have been in state

All this being said we will probably get hit for something else but this is something that we keep getting hit with

simonton6.4

Reaction score
How much weight are you hauling? It would probably be cheaper to get a new trailer if possible

We down rated the trailer as much as we can and still be safe it already has smaller axles then what usually comes on it just to get the GVWR down

bad12jr

Reaction score
Something I've always wondered on this is why does gvwr matter at all. As long as the rig isnt physically over 26000 gross why does it matter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

simonton6.4

Reaction score
It's just a way to control it so people aren't running around with huge loads and all
It's stupid they build these truck that can haul all this weight and yet we can't use that BC the GVWR and crap

Twan

Reaction score
Springs are the same size, just different load rating, and maybe an extra spring. Brakes I'm not sure about, but I bet the size is the same.

The 80 is stronger but you can't load it over what your door sticker says.

You can have the trailer company down rate the trailers, my buddy has 7k axles on his trailer, but they put 9,999 GVRW for DOT. So they don't need to get CDL's.

Your right, the DOT is getting to be a pain, wish they would change the laws a little, and make them all the same, and fare, but **** we all know that won't happen. Would be too easy. Lol.

jngreen

Reaction score
What kind of loads are you hauling? Could you use some f650 rollback trucks to haul the same loads. I think you only have to have a chauffeurs license to drive one of those, which is pretty much just a written test at the dmv. I may be wrong on that because I didn't have to worry about it when I drove a tow truck, as I have my class a CDL.

simonton6.4

Reaction score
Springs are the same size, just different load rating, and maybe an extra spring. Brakes I'm not sure about, but I bet the size is the same.

The 80 is stronger but you can't load it over what your door sticker says.

You can have the trailer company down rate the trailers, my buddy has 7k axles on his trailer, but they put 9,999 GVRW for DOT. So they don't need to get CDL's.

Your right, the DOT is getting to be a pain, wish they would change the laws a little, and make them all the same, and fare, but **** we all know that won't happen. Would be too easy. Lol.

That's more or less what we did with the trailer just couldn't get it down any more then we did
Yeah bout like anything else it's not gonna change it would be nice if they would do a standard it's impossible to meet all states laws

simonton6.4

Reaction score
What kind of loads are you hauling? Could you use some f650 rollback trucks to haul the same loads. I think you only have to have a chauffeurs license to drive one of those, which is pretty much just a written test at the dmv. I may be wrong on that because I didn't have to worry about it when I drove a tow truck, as I have my class a CDL.

We have a 650 for our big drill and it's been down rated to not need a cal and it's perfect but with our little drill it's to low to drive on the truck and it's nice to only have to take one truck to a job site some times were if we do another 650 we have to drive two trucks and all

jngreen

Reaction score
The rollback I drove had a shark tail on it. You could drive a lambo straight onto it.
I could have swore I read somewhere that you could get a Ford with the 10,000 lb gvwr, but probably not a cab and chassis model. Looks like you will need to do away with the duallys or downgrade the trailers more. How much weight do these drills actually weigh?

jngreen

Reaction score
That's more or less what we did with the trailer just couldn't get it down any more then we did
Yeah bout like anything else it's not gonna change it would be nice if they would do a standard it's impossible to meet all states laws

CDL regulations are federal law and do not change from state to state. Only the LEOs change from state to state, and their interpretation of the law.

Twan

Reaction score
CDL regulations are federal law and do not change from state to state. Only the LEOs change from state to state, and their interpretation of the law.

They do change state to state. image.jpg

jngreen

Reaction score
They do change state to state. View attachment 21197

I think every state has that 10,001 lbs rule, but not every state enforces it. Indiana has that rule also. It pretty confusing.

All I really know is, I have my CDL so I'm covered. Sorry about the rest of you.

Last edited:

simonton6.4

Reaction score
The rollback I drove had a shark tail on it. You could drive a lambo straight onto it.
I could have swore I read somewhere that you could get a Ford with the 10,000 lb gvwr, but probably not a cab and chassis model. Looks like you will need to do away with the duallys or downgrade the trailers more. How much weight do these drills actually weigh?

Last we got put on the scales we was 23,000 I think and that's the entire rig truck and trailor the drill probably weights in at around 6,000lb that's just a guess it may be more or less
Trailors already down rated so that's the plan ditch the duals when we buy it and then put duals on it

jngreen

Reaction score
You don't really need dual wheels to pull that kind of weight. A set of airbags and stiff tires inflated to 80 lbs would work fine and be easier to maneuver than a dually.

simonton6.4

Reaction score
Yeah boss wants duals those so just doing what he says he wants? And we already have a flat bed to go on it that is a dually bed
Would making the axle in there a dually be safe enough or is doing the Dana my best option

Twan

Reaction score
As long as your wheel don't hit anything, or stick out to fare you'd be fine.
I would deffently try to use the stock axle first, would be your easiest way.

Latest posts

Members online